View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:00 pm

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ] 
 Tannehill consistently underthrows Wallace 
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Post Tannehill consistently underthrows Wallace
I know Wallace has dropped his share, but Ryan has certainly underthrown him on MANY occasions as well.

That last play should have been a touchdown.

Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:44 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post Re: Tannehill consistently underthrows Wallace
I don't get it. He hits Hartline deep with great accuracy. Same with Clay and Matthews.

Why he can't hit Wallace in stride is beyond me.

Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:02 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

It has definitely cost the team points on more than one occasion.

Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:33 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Watching the redskins vs eagles, I was wishing we could use Mike Wallace the way they use Desean Jackson. He actually gets to run with the ball, and not just catch and go down like a possesion wr.

Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:46 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

With that said, I really like how Charles Clay has developed this year.

Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:02 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Hey, Tannehill showed a little improvement in the 2nd half by overthrowing Wallace for a change.

Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:08 pm
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Big Dave wrote:
Hey, Tannehill showed a little improvement in the 2nd half by overthrowing Wallace for a change.

HA.......he has to get his scope set.

Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:17 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Do Miami's receivers struggle to get open down the field? Does Sherman draw up bad routes?

We saw a lot of SD receivers wide open down field but don't generally see that with Miami. Missing Wallace was just terrible but that isn't what I'm talking about.

Tannehill is a good quarterback and can win games, but I still want to see more. Sometimes I wonder if he has the IT factor or if he's just a good player who brings a mixed bag.

Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:37 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

jammer wrote:
It has definitely cost the team points on more than one occasion.

probably 3 or 4 missed touchdowns to Wallace deep

Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:43 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

jammer wrote:
Do Miami's receivers struggle to get open down the field? Does Sherman draw up bad routes?

We saw a lot of SD receivers wide open down field but don't generally see that with Miami. Missing Wallace was just terrible but that isn't what I'm talking about.

Tannehill is a good quarterback and can win games, but I still want to see more. Sometimes I wonder if he has the IT factor or if he's just a good player who brings a mixed bag.

Ryan still has some questions that need to be answered. I also thought there were times he can have helped and run the ball more. He has the ability to hurt teams with his legs.

Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:45 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Wallace has had some drops too!

Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:46 pm
Profile WWW

The chemistry between them stinks. So much for their bromance during the off season. As soon as its feasible I would not be surprised to see Wallace out of here. We wil survive with or without him.
We turned a major corner today. If we make the playoffs watch out!!

Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:55 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

FINesse wrote:
The chemistry between them stinks. So much for their bromance during the off season. As soon as its feasible I would not be surprised to see Wallace out of here. We wil survive with or without him.
We turned a major corner today. If we make the playoffs watch out!!

Trade him for a pair of third round pics and watch him be a top WR on another team.

Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:08 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Tannehill is who he is. Can toss heat-seeking darts when it comes to comebacks/curls, especially back shoulder ..... outside of that he's a mediocre passer. It's not a surprise, as that is how he was at TAMU.

Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:10 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Its the 10th game of the season. RT would've paired up better with an Anquan Boldin type of post up player rather than Wallace. These two will never connect. It is almost like RT doesn't like Wallace. There's something going on because c'mon man, you don't miss a guy that many times and call yourself a pro. I could make at least 1 of those throws.

Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:06 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

phinsfansc wrote:

Ryan still has some questions that need to be answered. I also thought there were times he can have helped and run the ball more. He has the ability to hurt teams with his legs.

It was good to see him take off a couple of times in the 2nd half ... one was a designed boot. He's also getting better with his slide. I saw improvement in his pocket awareness yesterday and he throws a very good short to intermediate pass. In fact, some of his passes fit into a very tight window and I haven't seen that since Dan the Man.

Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:13 am
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Funny how Chad Henne also could not hit the deep pass and had a habit of leading the receiver out of bounds. Tannehill does the same or under throws it. I don't get it, just throw it up out in front of Wallace so he can use his speed to accelerate to the ball, not break his stride by not even reaching him or leading him out of bounds.

Imagine if Tannehill could get that throw down?? That has probably cost anywhere from 3-5 touchdowns this season.

Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:51 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Leaving points on the field not being able to connect on these. They both need to stay after every practice and do it until they get it right.

Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:59 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rock Sexton wrote:
Tannehill is who he is. Can toss heat-seeking darts when it comes to comebacks/curls, especially back shoulder ..... outside of that he's a mediocre passer. It's not a surprise, as that is how he was at TAMU.

The question becomes is that good enough to build your team around?

Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:13 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I'm still puzzled as to why they don't throw deep to Hartline more often?

Yesterday the throw to him was on the money and his hand was held back preventing him from hauling in the pass. For whatever reason Tannehill doesn't put too much air on the throw when targeting him.

I keep going back to the TD pass to Hartline in week 1. Probably the best pass I've seen Tannehill throw as a pro and you could tell he was on the same page with Hartline.

Nick Foles has found his big play guy in Riley Cooper and isn't forcing it to Desean Jackson. Why can't the coaching staff in Miami realize that maybe Hartline should be the big deep threat and by doing so it may open up space for Wallace to be more of a slot option with open field to operate (long winded question)?

Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:03 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

I really do it's coaching with the deep passes. I see no post routes from Wallace. they are simple go routes, easy to defend with safety help and the sideline.

Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:33 am
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Agree with what most of you guys are saying. Coaching, scheme, and creativity. There is no motion in our offense, no crossing routes to speak of, very little WR bunching, and no setups to "catch" a defense in 1 on 1 with Wallace. Very little in design to clear out areas and help get WRs open. Its all line up, one on one, you beat your guy and give RT room to hit you. We have to work to hard in our passing game when a typical west coast offense uses timing to help the play develop. I really couldnt tell you what type of offensive scheme we have! Except its inconsistent in every area! But to get back on topic, RT should really just launch that sucker and let Wallace run under it!

Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:30 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Tanny throws a nice deep ball...................I don't know if he's seeing Wallace 2-3 yards open and consciously decides to play it safe and take a little off of it. There's no other receiver that posses the speed of Wallace..........Tanny needs to recognize who he's throwing to and put some more under it. Unfortunately, I think it's something that's just going to take some more time.

Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:40 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

We're 10 games into the season so I highly doubt we're going to see any improvement on the deep pass to Wallace. We can blame scheme and coaching but Wallace has his man beat rather consistently and with room. That is on the QB.

The only deep pass to Wallace that seemed like a well thrown ball was the one where he was tripped by Newman in the Cincy game. That would have been 6 points.

I think it was also pointed out that Tannehill was 4-11, 60 yds and an Int on passes that traveled over 10 yards in the air yesterday. Posted similar numbers last week.

This is a problem that doesn't appear to be going away.

Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:51 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

otowndolfan13 wrote:
Agree with what most of you guys are saying. Coaching, scheme, and creativity. There is no motion in our offense, no crossing routes to speak of, very little WR bunching, and no setups to "catch" a defense in 1 on 1 with Wallace. Very little in design to clear out areas and help get WRs open. Its all line up, one on one, you beat your guy and give RT room to hit you. We have to work to hard in our passing game when a typical west coast offense uses timing to help the play develop. I really couldnt tell you what type of offensive scheme we have! Except its inconsistent in every area! But to get back on topic, RT should really just launch that sucker and let Wallace run under it!

Excellent post. I really don't see the creativity in the formations and route running that any successful passing game would use. It is too easy to cover our guys because we expect them to beat one on one coverage on their own too much. Bunch plays, stack plays, combination routes... those do not seem to exist in those offense. It is generic 3 wide formations most of the game.

Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:59 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

I don't know how anyone knows "what kind of passer" Tannehill is. Poor guy has been behind a crap offensive line with the most generic play calling known to man and has still managed respectable numbers.

The coaches are holding the players back on this team, not just Tannehill, all of them. It's sad to watch.

Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:24 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

one thing I do know is that this guy is masterful on all other passes besides the deep go routes.
So we can work with him. Just listen to the game announcers that are wowwed every week by his pinpoint darts thru small windows. Those are harder to teach than any other passes.

Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:17 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rich wrote:
otowndolfan13 wrote:

Excellent post. I really don't see the creativity in the formations and route running that any successful passing game would use. It is too easy to cover our guys because we expect them to beat one on one coverage on their own too much. Bunch plays, stack plays, combination routes... those do not seem to exist in those offense. It is generic 3 wide formations most of the game.

I think you guys are on to something and its why I asked whether or not Miami's receivers are even getting open in general. Seems it is always an out or throw into a tight window.

But I'm not sure that coaching is the reason why Tannehill and Wallace cannot get on the same page. I know last year Tannehill had an issue overthrowing his targets, so is he trying to compensate for that?

How many has he missed to Wallace this year? Probably around 10?

Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:18 pm
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Forgive me if I am wrong..... I never saw much movement in the Green Bay offense. They've been lining up and throwing it the whole tenure of Aaron Rodgers. Maybe Ive only watched like 2 or 3 packers games the past 2 years, but I really don't remember all that much motion. And lets not forget, they've done pretty good the past 5 years with an ELITE QB..... Only thing I do recall from Packers games is that they like using that full house package with 3 "RB"'s out of shot gun, wish we could do that too

Im not saying its the right thing for us. But its not a relic of the past if other successful teams are still doing the same. Everyone is wowed by the Cam Cameron style Ravens offense last year, where they would have WR's (Boldin) motion all over the place.

Did anyone ever think that maybe all that nonsense was done because Boldin became nothing but a TE that caught everything, and his speed regressed from his ARZ days. And that this coaching staff is respecting our WR's to win their one-on-ones because they are actually pretty darn good

This may have sounded as a defense of our horrible offense, but its not. Im just trying to point out that there are current offense out there that will just line 3 WR's up and try and beat you one on one. The Giants do it alot, and have very little motion, and if they do, they usually just pull the flanker in, thats about it

Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:59 pm

SkyHigh314 wrote:
Forgive me if I am wrong..... I never saw much movement in the Green Bay offense. They've been lining up and throwing it the whole tenure of Aaron Rodgers. Maybe Ive only watched like 2 or 3 packers games the past 2 years, but I really don't remember all that much motion. And lets not forget, they've done pretty good the past 5 years with an ELITE QB..... Only thing I do recall from Packers games is that they like using that full house package with 3 "RB"'s out of shot gun, wish we could do that too

Im not saying its the right thing for us. But its not a relic of the past if other successful teams are still doing the same. Everyone is wowed by the Cam Cameron style Ravens offense last year, where they would have WR's (Boldin) motion all over the place.

Did anyone ever think that maybe all that nonsense was done because Boldin became nothing but a TE that caught everything, and his speed regressed from his ARZ days. And that this coaching staff is respecting our WR's to win their one-on-ones because they are actually pretty darn good

This may have sounded as a defense of our horrible offense, but its not. Im just trying to point out that there are current offense out there that will just line 3 WR's up and try and beat you one on one. The Giants do it alot, and have very little motion, and if they do, they usually just pull the flanker in, thats about it

Do you watch all 16 games for the teams you mentioned above?

Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:07 pm
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

As I mentioned, Ive only caught about 3 Packers games in the Past 2 years.... Giants wise, yea Ive seen at least half of them since they are local here....

Maybe bad examples, but I think we are exaggerating the dinosaur nature of no-motion in our offense. Thats all I was really getting at.

Would it be best to put Wallace in motion, ABSOLUTELY. But I dont want to act like, because they haven't our offense is from 1987

Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:13 pm

SkyHigh314 wrote:
As I mentioned, Ive only caught about 3 Packers games in the Past 2 years.... Giants wise, yea Ive seen at least half of them since they are local here....

Maybe bad examples, but I think we are exaggerating the dinosaur nature of no-motion in our offense. Thats all I was really getting at.

Would it be best to put Wallace in motion, ABSOLUTELY. But I dont want to act like, because they haven't our offense is from 1987

We're not even talking just about motion. We're talking about formations and route combinations. The route combinations in this offense are not creative at all. There are no crossing patterns, no stack sets, no bunch formations.

It is very predictable.

Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 32 posts ]