View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:35 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Meet Martin's mother Jane ..... it will all make sense. 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Meet Martin's mother Jane ..... it will all make sense.
Quote:
In 1987, a young lawyer out of Harvard Law School and working for a prestigious Washington, D.C., firm volunteered to investigate a restaurant for refusing to hire waitresses or allow blacks to work outside the kitchen.

When the legal dust settled, the restaurant, Martin's Tavern (unrelated to the family), paid a settlement, agreed to change its hiring policies and the attorney, Jane Howard-Martin, continued down a path toward becoming a nationally prominent employment lawyer.

All these years later, as Miami Dolphins tackle Jonathan Martin's saga swirls under a national spotlight, the only definitive point in a confusing period of "he-said-they-said" is the Dolphins couldn't have tangled with a player better equipped for the involved legal and ethical implications.

Martin simply had to turn to his mom, Howard-Martin, to ask whether the volatile workplace that led to his leaving the team met legal standards.

Howard-Martin now is a corporate lawyer for Toyota in Los Angeles. But for nearly two decades she litigated employment-law cases, spoke at legal symposiums as an expert on the subject and wrote articles for legal journals with ambitious headlines like, "A Critical Analysis of Judicial Opinions in Professional Employment Discrimination Cases."

She also wrote a cautionary USA Today article in 2002 that applies directly to her son's current issue. Its headline: "Stop workplace harassment in your company."

One of this issue's many uncertainties remain whether it ends with the ongoing NFL investigation or in a courtroom as part of a potentially multimillion-dollar lawsuit. Experts in Howard-Martin's former field say such a landmark case of the football culture is possible, even building.

Martin's mother, the daughter of two college professors, is more than comfortable dealing with employment issues at the center of this storm. She was professionally raised in this exact world of employment concerns and expensive lawsuits.

"She's a great person, a great lawyer and this is her playing field,'' said an attorney who worked with Martin in the employment-law field but declined to be named.

Howard-Martin, who could not be reached for comment, rose to a partner in the Pittsburgh law firm Morgan Lewis & Bockius. She dealt in a broad palate of employment law from sexual harassment to disability laws.

She became part of the involved community, elected to the Urban League board of directors and the executive committee of the American Arbitration Association.

Her expertise led to writing a regular column at USA Today, where she was introduced as having, "practiced employment law for 15 years with a focus on employment discrimination litigation, human resources counseling and workplace training."

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2013-1 ... i-dolphins

Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:25 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Meet Martin's mother Jane ..... it will all make sense.
li·ti·gious
adjective \lə-ˈti-jəs, li-\

: too ready or eager to sue someone or something in a court of law : tending or likely to engage in lawsuits

The Merriam Webster definition about sums it up.

Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:59 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

So basically when the sledding got tough, Jonathon cried to Mommy and a case was made from Richie's tough love texts and voicemails. I think Jonathan held onto those texts and emails as ammunition in case his career took a turn for the worse or in case he wanted an out from the team. The more I learn the more I view Jonathan as a weasel.

Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:02 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

In this day and age suing seems easier and easier to find ways to manipulate the system.

Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:04 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phin wrote:
So basically when the sledding got tough, Jonathon cried to Mommy and a case was made from Richie's tough love texts and voicemails. I think Jonathan held onto those texts and emails as ammunition in case his career took a turn for the worse or in case he wanted an out from the team. The more I learn the more I view Jonathan as a weasel.

They saw the $$$ signs. Especially axe grinders like his mother and David Cornwell. I've said this repeatedly, but the day he stormed out of the cafeteria and went AWOL was the day his career died. He knows it. His mother knows it. He's simply not good enough to overcome the mark of a "quitter", not to mention a snitch. When the cards were down, the team was embroiled in a losing streak, and the O-line was taking heat for its catastrophic play ..... Jonathon Martin walked away.

It was only after he got out of that hospital and returned home did the real "scheming" begin, with a litigious mother literally waiting at the doorsteps. Since she couldn't directly represent her son, who came a calling? Of course the sour grapes named David Cornwell, spurned from having not been chosen President of the NFLPA. Leave it up to that guy to challenge the very privacy and sanctity of the locker room in the guise of wanting to create a "bully free" work environment.

With Richie Incgonito they couldn't have asked for a better character to assassinate and to be the face of America's new favorite buzz word "Bullying". Now all the hack writers out there who felt the were bullied in their lives had someone to attach their wrath. Regardless of how well loved he was by his teammates and how much he endeared himself to them, his past was too juicey .... too ripe to NOT be manipulated via the media, both television and social. Then the cherry on top was the "bi-racial n*****" phrase. What better way to strike the fervor of the public into support for Martin than making this a race issue?

The whole thing is a farce. Martin apparently took part in some of the verbal/textual hooliganism and doesn't have a leg to stand on ...... PTSD, depression, or not. As the old expression goes, if your friends jumped off the Brooklyn Bridge would you as well? Martin should be ashamed of himself for letting it get to this point. He's not cut-out to survive an NFL locker room or the scrutiny and his council of axes wants to challenge the landscape.

Should some of the language be cleaned up? Perhaps. Is it fine worthy? Perhaps. But we're talking about a business that involves modern day gladiators physically banging on each other 4-5 days a week for 6-7 months out of the year, not including off-season activities. I mean this stuff goes on in the trenches DURING LIVE GAMES from people who are not teammates. Are we going to mic everyone up and suspend/fine them for speaking indecently in the heat of the moment when emotions are high and people are physically taken to the brink?

I thought the circus might've already been here over the last decade with this organization. I was wrong. Jonathon Martin took it to a level I never thought achievable.

Last edited by Rock Sexton on Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:51 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

Why couldn't this happen to the Patriots or Jets so we could be the ones laughing.

Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:47 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

FINesse wrote:
Why couldn't this happen to the Patriots or Jets so we could be the ones laughing.

Ireland was afraid to ask about players parents after the Dez Bryant interview.

"Hey, wait a minute, isn't your mom a blood-sucking lawyer?"

Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:31 am
Profile WWW

I think if Ireland survives this it will be the players asking him the questions.

"Hey aren't you that crappy GM?"

Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:45 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I wonder if the Martin family will be good Dolphins part owners after they go after Ross?

Live from Martin-Sun-Life Stadium, it's the Martin-Dolphins vs the London Jaguars.

Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:50 am
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rock, I really hope you're right about all of this and Martin comes out looking like a clown in the public eye.

Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:02 am
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

I've said this all along. The Incognito tape is somewhere right after the off-season. It is clear he is touching base after a long period of time. Martin taped this, or saved it with a purpose in mind. There is no other reason for holding it that long. He probably went home in the off-season and complained to his mother about his treatment as a rookie. Since then, she has been in control pulling Martin's strings ala "Mommy Dearest" style. Martin knew exactly what cards to play and when to play them. Ritchie for his part is just the dumb ox who fell right into the well crafted trap.

Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:40 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Hearing this mfer talk on TV today made me sick.

Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]