View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:10 am

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ] 
 Phins address tipping-off-play controversy 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Phins address tipping-off-play controversy
Quote:
Barry Jackson
E-mail | | Bio

A flurry of Dolphins fans, listening to audio of the games on television, say Ryan Tannehill is tipping off plays by shouting "go" before passes and "go go" before runs. Meanwhile, ESPN's Jon Gruden said John Jerry tipped off Tampa Bay by turning his head to look at Tannehill on passing plays, allowing an opposing lineman to get a jump on Mike Pouncey.

Dolphins players addressed both issues, one more strongly than the other.

Asked whether Tannehill says "go" before passes and "go-go" before runs, Dolphins tight end Michael Egnew said: "It's not always that way.... A lot of people think they know and have no idea."

Tannehill also disputed the notion that he's saying the same thing before every pass. "I don't think there's concern," he said. "We go against our defense every day throughout camp and OTAs. If we were tipping off something that was so blatantly obvious, they would tell us and they would be able to defend it as well."

Tannehill also said he changes his cadence --- and his pause during his cadence --- during the course of games.

Egnew and other Dolphins players said even if opposing players pick up any tendencies such as "go or go-go," it wouldn't provide much of an advantage because it's happening so quickly before a play. (But it would seem there would be an impact on play-action passes.)

As for Gruden's claim, Jerry refused to confirm it or deny it, despite being pressed on the issue. Asked whether he was indeed tipping off Tampa players by turning his head, he said: "I don't worry about that."

Jerry was then asked what can be done to help the running game. "That's coach's job," he responded. "That's not my job." OK then.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-b ... rylink=cpy

Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:05 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Phins address tipping-off-play controversy
Quote:
Jesse Agler @finsjesse

RE: snap counts, @ksims69 just told us Dolphins went "on two" 99% of the time with Marino.

https://twitter.com/finsjesse

Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:35 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

On Monday, my friend and I called every play before the snap due to the go/go-go. I guess we just got lucky? 30 times?
And the games before that?

Stunning ignorance.

I guess they wouldn't come out and say, "Oops! Our bad." But their refusal to change it yet is exhibit B why the coaching staff needs to go.

Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:00 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

1984phins wrote:
On Monday, my friend and I called every play before the snap due to the go/go-go. I guess we just got lucky? 30 times?
And the games before that?

Stunning ignorance.

I guess they wouldn't come out and say, "Oops! Our bad." But their refusal to change it yet is exhibit B why the coaching staff needs to go.

When Tannehill is under center:

GO GO = Run

GO = Pass

When Tannehill is in the shotgun:

It is more difficult to figure out the play, but yes, Jerry is looking back at Tannehill and then the ball is getting snapped.

I don't care what excuse or argument anyone has on this, this is telling the defense what is coming.

If the linemen know a running or passing play is coming, they know how they are going to be blocked and how to attack those blocks. And the linebackers will creep up faster if it is a run versus if it is a pass.

You can say, well this team does it too or with Dan Marino we used to go on two all the time.

But we don't have the blocking talent. We need all the help we can get and with this predictable cadence, it is not helping.

Go back and look at the Bucs game. Everytime Tannehill said the first GO, the linemen were already coming. They knew that either the ball was about to be snapped or it would be snapped in another half second. And they were coming across right before the snap. I think they were offsides a couple of times but it wasn't called, but they were clearly getting off the ball before our offensive line.

I'm telling you, this is a major problem and a major tell for the defense.

Most teams will change their cadence during the game. They'll do so in the huddle "on two, on two" etc.

Sorry but this is damning evidence of a clueless coaching staff.

They need to go.

Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:21 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Sorry but this is damning evidence of a clueless coaching staff.

They need to go.

I know right? Here we go with another potential regime change. It is utterly amazing of the amount of turnover IF this happens yet again for the Dolphins.

Sad part is no matter who they get, we will all be skeptical that whomever takes over will be successful.

Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:31 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

It happens so quick? Really? If I'm of D and I hear go-go I'm heading for the RB, plain and simple. They are so stupid, the fact is that we ran for 2 effing yrds and the Bucs got a safety!! If that isn't telling, I don't know what is.

Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:18 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

AQNOR wrote:
Quote:
Barry Jackson
E-mail | | Bio

A flurry of Dolphins fans, listening to audio of the games on television, say Ryan Tannehill is tipping off plays by shouting "go" before passes and "go go" before runs. Meanwhile, ESPN's Jon Gruden said John Jerry tipped off Tampa Bay by turning his head to look at Tannehill on passing plays, allowing an opposing lineman to get a jump on Mike Pouncey.

Dolphins players addressed both issues, one more strongly than the other.

Asked whether Tannehill says "go" before passes and "go-go" before runs, Dolphins tight end Michael Egnew said: "It's not always that way.... A lot of people think they know and have no idea."

Tannehill also disputed the notion that he's saying the same thing before every pass. "I don't think there's concern," he said. "We go against our defense every day throughout camp and OTAs. If we were tipping off something that was so blatantly obvious, they would tell us and they would be able to defend it as well."

Tannehill also said he changes his cadence --- and his pause during his cadence --- during the course of games.

Egnew and other Dolphins players said even if opposing players pick up any tendencies such as "go or go-go," it wouldn't provide much of an advantage because it's happening so quickly before a play. (But it would seem there would be an impact on play-action passes.)

As for Gruden's claim, Jerry refused to confirm it or deny it, despite being pressed on the issue. Asked whether he was indeed tipping off Tampa players by turning his head, he said: "I don't worry about that."

Jerry was then asked what can be done to help the running game. "That's coach's job," he responded. "That's not my job." OK then.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-b ... rylink=cpy
Yeah Ryan it's called Offensive team period, where the Defense caters to the Offense so of course it's gonna look like you guys can run things on the Defense.

Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:49 am
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Quote:
GO GO = Run

GO = Pass

This just isn't true. I've tried to track it and they do change it up. Maybe not often enough but it is changed. I guess one thing that needs to happen more is RT's cadence. It is the same every time. Very predictable and if they'd ever throw 3 "go's" into the mix...they'd draw about 10 offside penalties in one game. So while the premise isn't true....I did see the bucs teeing off when the ball wasn't snapped on 1 go, they were ahead of the offense on the 2nd one.

Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:23 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Some of the Bucs' Players probably told Gruden pre-game, this was occurring.

Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:58 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Man if you're bitching about your teams cadence, your team sucks. :(

Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:15 pm

NFLJunkie wrote:
Quote:
GO GO = Run

GO = Pass

This just isn't true.

Everyone else watching, including local reporters, disagree with you.

Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:03 pm

you can disagree, along with other reporters who haven't done their homework, but the fact is they do change it up. Its more than just go, or go-go. You can rewind last weeks game and go to the first couple of series and figure it out.

Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:53 pm

NFLJunkie wrote:
you can disagree, along with other reporters who haven't done their homework, but the fact is they do change it up. Its more than just go, or go-go. You can rewind last weeks game and go to the first couple of series and figure it out.

You also only conveniently quoted part of my comment.

Quote:
When Tannehill is under center:

GO GO = Run

GO = Pass

When Tannehill is in the shotgun:

It is more difficult to figure out the play, but yes, Jerry is looking back at Tannehill and then the ball is getting snapped.

Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:18 pm

Rich...go review the tape. When he is undercenter the go, or go-go doesn't determine run or pass. I specifically watched for that in a couple of games and found at least a couple of runs on go, and a few passes on go-go.

Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:24 pm

NFLJunkie wrote:
Rich...go review the tape. When he is undercenter the go, or go-go doesn't determine run or pass. I specifically watched for that in a couple of games and found at least a couple of runs on go, and a few passes on go-go.

I've been paying close attention to this since before the bye week. I've yet to see them deviate from this pattern.

Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:32 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

NFLJunkie wrote:

The only time I've seen them use "go" on a run is a hand off to Clay.

Another thing I noticed was they tried "go go" a lot and didn't snap the ball (maybe an attempt to draw offsides?), RT made some adjustments and then snapped whatever play it was.

It seems the "go" and "go go" are pretty obvious and telling.

Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:41 pm

jammer wrote:

You're right, actually. That's the only time they use GO, when it is a fullback hand off.

Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:45 pm

Rich wrote:
jammer wrote:

You're right, actually. That's the only time they use GO, when it is a fullback hand off.

That's the only time they used it in the last game. I'll go back and do a quick review of Cincy tonight and do a discount Dobble Check.

Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:04 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Seems like coaching 101. Who does this fall on more? Philbin or Sherman?

Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:08 pm

Phin wrote:
Seems like coaching 101. Who does this fall on more? Philbin or Sherman?

Both. Sherman because its his offense but Philbin because he hasn't corrected it and was totally unaware it was going on.

Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:10 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

The coaches are soooo stupid, how do they keep their jobs?

Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:00 pm

Just re-watched the first series of the Cincy Game and they mixed it up better. There were 2 runs on a single go just in the first 2 series.

Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]