View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:32 am

Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ] 
 Ross creates Advisory Group: Shula, Marino, JT, Curtis Marti 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Ross creates Advisory Group: Shula, Marino, JT, Curtis Marti
SI wrote:
The advisory group will consist of former head coaches Tony Dungy and Don Shula, as well as ex-NFL players Dan Marino, Jason Taylor and Curtis Martin.

“Together, these men bring integrity, respect and diverse experiences to the discussion, some having just recently retired from the locker room,” Ross said. “Joe Philbin and others will be a part of the process, as will current Dolphin players. I want to be clear: this effort is to improve the Miami Dolphins only and is not intended to be a blueprint for other franchises. The working group will begin its charge after the season.”

http://nfl.si.com/2013/11/11/dolphins-s ... incognito/

Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:09 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Re: Ross creates Advisory Group: Shula, Marino, JT, Curtis Marti
I understand the locker room culture is different, but I am all for rising the standards of the Locker Room.

Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:10 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Can't we just leave Philbin out of this group!!! Fire him and fire Ireland!

Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:13 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Can this advisory board help us pick Ireland and some of our coaches' successors?

Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:16 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I am excited to see JT will be involved with the team. However I wonder how much this will really help?

Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:17 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

MissHell wrote:
I am excited to see JT will be involved with the team. However I wonder how much this will really help?

Agreed. If you have to hire an advisory board then you have the wrong people running your team.

Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:20 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

It gets worse everyday....more distractions.

Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:22 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

GOOD GRIEF!

Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:33 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

I like this. Hopefully they consult him on picking a new head coach. More importantly picking a new OC.

Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:28 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

I was thinking the same thing. Advisory Group made up of these greats can only produce good things

Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:37 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

NFLJunkie wrote:
I was thinking the same thing. Advisory Group made up of these greats can only produce good things

Yea, because Marino & JT know about winning in Miami. If Shula had not been named Shula he would have never made it out of the mid-late 80's

Maybe they can get Dungy to come in & Martin to be 23 again.

Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:07 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

NFLJunkie wrote:

It's a fking joke is what it is.

Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:04 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Ross fires everyone and is left alone the media would roast him as having no experience...

Now, he has people around him who understand the game...
jammer wrote:

Agreed. If you have to hire an advisory board then you have the wrong people running your team.

Yup, that is exactly what I get from this "committee". Ross thinks the wrong people are running his team, those people were picked by Ireland, who was left behind by Parcells....

Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:41 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

This was a diplomatic move by Ross to help save face on his franchise and nothing more.

I am sure as a ethical business man the last thing he wants is HIS business being dragged through the mud. These who's who of reputable names is an obvious ploy to better the image.

Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:47 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Are y'all serious?

Am I the only one here who thinks this is awesome?

As a fan I would love to be in the room and listen to the conversation, of course! & I don't think Ross knows that much about football either so the fact that he's getting the chance to learn will help his franchise.

You're free to whine and hate on the idea as much as you please but I would rather Ross do something than nothing. The worst thing he could do at this time is get all Jerry Jones/Al Davis arrogant & act like he's going to figure things out on his own. Most intelligent men aren't afraid to talk to with others that have more business experience then themselves. & this business is out of hand at the moment. Even if its a PR move, is it not worth doing?

Ross made his money in real estate & didn't play football. I admire him for having the humility to put himself in such a situation & to admit that he needs to be better.

I'm really surprised that so many of you are adverse to this

Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:12 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

10acjed wrote:
Ross fires everyone and is left alone the media would roast him as having no experience...

jammer wrote:

Yup, that is exactly what I get from this "committee". Ross thinks the wrong people are running his team, those people were picked by Ireland, who was left behind by Parcells....

Actually the choice to hire Philbin was reportedly made by Ross..........Ireland favored Mike McCoy.

Per Adam Schefter.......

ESPN's Adam Schefter suggests that Green Bay Packers offensive coordinator Joe Philbin appears to be the favorite of Miami Dolphins owner Stephen Ross for the team's head coaching job. Philbin had a second interview Wednesday with the Dolphins. Denver Broncos offensive coordinator Mike McCoy is rumored to be the favorite of general manager Jeff Ireland.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/37725/joe-philbin-the-favorite-of-dolphins-owner

Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:17 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I wouldn't be surprised if Dungy is hired as a team consultant. His role would be to evaluate all aspects................in particular the coaches and GM's performance. It's looking more likely Ireland, his staff and the entire coaching staff will be released at the end of the season. Ross will need to first determine if this is justified............assuming the answer is yes, he then needs to move quick to acquire a GM and soon after the coaching staff. As exemplified by Ireland's extension in week 3, he did not foresee this being the case until very recently.

Replacing your entire football staff is a pretty daunting task........I'm not a fan of hiring a coach Coach/GM and we've seen recent failed attempts (Parcells & Holmgreen) of bringing in one guy to appoint both the GM and coaching staff.

Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:44 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

shularino wrote:
10acjed wrote:

jammer wrote:

Actually the choice to hire Philbin was reportedly made by Ross..........Ireland favored Mike McCoy.]

Sick of hearing stuff like this. How the 2nd in command wanted this guy, but the man with the power wanted another. Its the same. Boldin to Graham.

Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:55 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
In his statement, Ross revealed that he has established an independent advisory council to look into the culture of the team’s locker room. This council is separate from the investigation that the NFL is conducting at Ross’ request.

imo this is a PR move. I think its effect will be more negative than positive as it shows the players that their boss thinks something is wrong with the environment they have created.

Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:24 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Dphins4me wrote:
Sick of hearing stuff like this. How the 2nd in command wanted this guy, but the man with the power wanted another. Its the same. Boldin to Graham.

Ross has openly admitted he leaves football decisions to football guys... Reporters without named sources are not where I get facts from..

Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:04 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

JT chose Dancing With The Stars over practicing with the team. I don't want his advice.

Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:06 am
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I think Ross should also hire a Phinfever committee. Imagine some of the guys that post in here having a say so into this Dolphins organization? :haha

Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:04 am

Steve Zissou wrote:
Are y'all serious?

Am I the only one here who thinks this is awesome?

As a fan I would love to be in the room and listen to the conversation, of course! & I don't think Ross knows that much about football either so the fact that he's getting the chance to learn will help his franchise.

You're free to whine and hate on the idea as much as you please but I would rather Ross do something than nothing. The worst thing he could do at this time is get all Jerry Jones/Al Davis arrogant & act like he's going to figure things out on his own. Most intelligent men aren't afraid to talk to with others that have more business experience then themselves. & this business is out of hand at the moment. Even if its a PR move, is it not worth doing?

Ross made his money in real estate & didn't play football. I admire him for having the humility to put himself in such a situation & to admit that he needs to be better.

It's called window dressing.

Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:32 am

10acjed wrote:
Reporters without named sources are not where I get facts from..

So where are you getting the "fact" that Ireland was the one who hired Philbin?

Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:34 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

shularino wrote:
Actually the choice to hire Philbin was reportedly made by Ross..........Ireland favored Mike McCoy.

Per Adam Schefter.......

ESPN's Adam Schefter suggests that Green Bay Packers offensive coordinator Joe Philbin appears to be the favorite of Miami Dolphins owner Stephen Ross for the team's head coaching job. Philbin had a second interview Wednesday with the Dolphins. Denver Broncos offensive coordinator Mike McCoy is rumored to be the favorite of general manager Jeff Ireland.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/37725/joe-philbin-the-favorite-of-dolphins-owner

Awesome, now I'm getting flashbacks of Ireland wanting Matt Ryan but Henning convincing them that Henne was just as good.

Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:52 am

Dphins4me wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:

Yea, because Marino & JT know about winning in Miami. If Shula had not been named Shula he would have never made it out of the mid-late 80's

Maybe they can get Dungy to come in & Martin to be 23 again.

Dungy....are you serious? Dungy was great because of Manning. Yes a storied franchise that is now the butt of every joke in the league thanks to a pansy LT needs something good to happen. I don't see how bringing some folks who do know a thing or two about winning is actually a bad thing. BTW, Shula hosted the 1992 AFC Championship Game in Miami.

Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:14 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

NFLJunkie wrote:
Dungy....are you serious? Dungy was great because of Manning. Yes a storied franchise that is now the butt of every joke in the league thanks to a pansy LT needs something good to happen. I don't see how bringing some folks who do know a thing or two about winning is actually a bad thing. BTW, Shula hosted the 1992 AFC Championship Game in Miami.

It might not be a bad thing but it just points to how bad the organization might currently be.

Just putting this out there that some discussion on twitter yesterday was wondering about JT as a possible GM. Omar Kelly even said he suspected that might happen in the future.

I don't know what to say about that, still trying to digest it. He'd clearly be a good face for the franchise but does he have the ability to evaluate talent and build a roster. Just because you played...well just look at Matt Millen.

Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:28 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

ya lets hire a group of people to do the coaches and gms job....

I have to say I do like the list though lol

Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:19 am

Tebow wasnt available?

Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:19 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Rich wrote:
Steve Zissou wrote:

It's called window dressing.

If its just to appease the public then why isn't being loudly publicized or pushed into a positive light?

Look, maybe I'm the only one who thinks of Dungy as a wise man. But I know we all think of Shula as the greatest coach of all time. He was a whiz at elvaulating talent, as well as reading personalities, & then costumizing his plan in a way that gets the most out of his team. I can't see a single negative to Ross & Philbin talking to these men. & maybe we'll get lucky with them learning something.

Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:44 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I guess I will repeat my thoughts. The ONLY reason this is even coming up is because Ross's business and ethics are under attack from the NFL and the public. It is obvious he is trying to make this all look good by forming some who's who committee of perceived positive images and former Dolphins. He is a business man and this is a business move.

I can see through it, so will others see through the strategy? Look I am all for this organization improving, but this entire fiasco should have been managed better from the head coach in my opinion as he has an army of coaches that work closely with these players and I find it hard to believe all this crap even happened.

Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:26 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Steve Zissou wrote:

If its just to appease the public then why isn't being loudly publicized or pushed into a positive light?

Look, maybe I'm the only one who thinks of Dungy as a wise man. But I know we all think of Shula as the greatest coach of all time. He was a whiz at elvaulating talent, as well as reading personalities, & then costumizing his plan in a way that gets the most out of his team. I can't see a single negative to Ross & Philbin talking to these men. & maybe we'll get lucky with them learning something.

Maybe the reason that it is not being loudly publicized is because it can't be heard over the laughter.

According to the report they are not going to be evaluating talent or developing plans on how to get the most out of a team. The report said that after the season is over they will look into the culture of the teams locker room.

"Ross said that he was “appalled” by the reports of racist and abusive communication via phone and text from Incognito to Martin. “I think anybody would be appalled,” Ross said. “When you first read that text that was reported, to me I didn’t realize people would talk, text or speak that way.”

Maybe the advisory panel should play a selection of rap and hip hop music for Mr. Ross so that he can better understand the young people in his locker room.

Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:44 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
Dolphins luminaries Don Shula, Dan Marino and Jason Taylor, along with respected coach Tony Dungy and Hall of Fame running back Curtis Martin have agreed to craft a “21st century” code of conduct for the Dolphins.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/11/13/3 ... lying.html

Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:14 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

NFLJunkie wrote:

Dungy....are you serious? Dungy was great because of Manning.
Great coaches are made by great players. That is like saying Bill Walsh was great because of Montana.

NFLJunkie wrote:
Yes a storied franchise that is now the butt of every joke in the league thanks to a pansy LT needs something good to happen. I don't see how bringing some folks who do know a thing or two about winning is actually a bad thing.
What does JT know about winning? He spent his entire Miami career losing. Marino had one to three where Miami was an actual threat to win it all.

NFLJunkie wrote:
BTW, Shula hosted the 1992 AFC Championship Game in Miami.
Yeap, but as I stated. If his name was not Shula he would have never made it out of the Tom Oliverdotti BTW, with the way Miami played that day. Might as well been in Buffalo. That game was basically over at kickoff. Buffalo came to play, Miami did not. 182 Yds rushing in an AFC Championship game at home? Embarrassing.

Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:36 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Rich wrote:
10acjed wrote:
Reporters without named sources are not where I get facts from..

So where are you getting the "fact" that Ireland was the one who hired Philbin?

I really dont know what happened.. Maybe your right, Ireland was against the boss and got shot down...

Ross says he leaves football decisions to football guys... A HC is a football decision...

But who cares, its Nov 14th and we are talking about the next HC already :embarrassed: whoever you want to blame for this is fine with me, they all have a part of it...

Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:11 am

Quote:
ts Nov 14th and we are talking about the next HC already

this should tell us everything

Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:07 am
Reply to topic   [ 36 posts ]