View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:36 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Dolphins 19, Bucs 22 - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly 
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Post Dolphins 19, Bucs 22 - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
The Good

Ryan Tannehill had an efficient game, completing 64% of his passes. Given the complete and total lack of a running game and of course the ongoing protection issues with this offensive line, you could not have asked more from the QB. His lone blemish, a late interception on 4th and 28 in a desperation throw, should not be held against him. I know some will question him being in The Good category because of the poor deep throw to Wallace and the pick, but you don't need to be perfect to have a good game. You need to be part of the solution, not part of the problem and Tannehill was not part of the problem in this game.

Rishard Matthews had a monster game with 11 catches for 120 yards and 2 TDs. This is a revelation for a former 7th round pick who has gotten scant playing time in his career. Matthews was able to beat coverage and find plenty of success playing out of the slot. Strangely enough, the Dolphins went away from him and went to Charles Clay more in crunch time.

The Bad

The running game was an effort in futility. The Bucs seemed to know the Dolphins snap count. It couldn't possibly be because of their predictable cadence, could it? The Dolphins continued to use the "Go Go" cadence on running plays, and I am willing to bet the Bucs keyed in on that. They were already moving off the line on the first GO, the second GO only told them to focus on the running back and not worry about coverage. That the Dolphins continue to use this cadence speaks to the stupidity of this coaching staff.

Speaking of bad coaching, why is this front seven getting gashed so easily up the middle? You have Randy Starks and Paul Soliai and you can't stop the inside run? That is a schematic issue going back to last year. When this defense ran a 34, they were one of the top run stopping teams. So lets fix what ain't broke. Nice job!

The linebacker trio of Spitler, Ellerbe and Wheeler were part of the problem against the run. Often caught out of position or pushed around. It is a domino effect as the defensive line should be eating up blockers. They aren't. But the linebackers should be shedding blockers and convering on the ball carrier. They aren't. The Dolphins front 7 overall has been a disappointing unit this season.

Mike Wallace continues to play as if he is a boy in a man's game. He drops easy passes, runs poor routes, gives up on plays and demonstrates poor body language overall. $60 million poorly spent.

The Ugly

The Dolphins just lost to a winless team.

Does it get any uglier than that?

Overall

I said before the Bengals game that those were the types of games the Dolphins won, only to lose to a doormat the following week. I hated being right but that's exactly what happened. This season is officially back on the death spiral. And with the poor culture in the lockeroom, the holes at key positions such as offensive line and the poor schemes and preparation by this team, it is time for everyone to go. The only way Ireland and Philbin should have a minute chance to keep their jobs is if they win at least 5 more games the rest of the way. And even that shouldn't be guarantee. But judging by this team's lack of heart and mental toughness, I don't see them winning more than 3 more games the rest of the way.

Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:59 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Re: Dolphins 19, Bucs 22 - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
Good job as usual Rich.

Tannehill was not the reason they lost. He missed on some key plays but he did enough to help beat a bad team. Still, I want to see more playmaking with his feet to buy time or run the ball. When I see that I'll regain my faith.

Miami lost because the rushing offense and rushing defense were pathetic. Sprinkle in some stupid penalties and you have a recipe for disaster.

Before the game I predicted Miami would go 9-7 and Philbin's job would be safe. I humbly ask for a mulligan on those.

There is some talent on this roster but they need a QB guru and someone who fixes that rushing defense.

Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:40 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Sherman ran the student body left play 3 times....twice in critical junctures of the game. All 3 times Miami lost 2 yards. Miami was eating Tampa up on the quick passes...so on the final drive lets have him do two consecutive 5 step drops where he got sacked twice. There is only one thing worse than stupidity....and that's stubborn stupidity

Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:17 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Just re-watched a lot of Tannehill's throws and have to admit I was probably too harsh on him. I still contend he left some big opportunities on the field but he was one of the only reasons the team was competitive in that game.

Want to see him use his legs more.

Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:43 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Excellent job, Rich.

I think I'd put Brandon Fields on the good list, but I think he didn't connect to well on punt/kickoff after the safety.

I'm actually featuring him on the home page for this weekend's game.

Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:36 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]