View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:35 pm

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
 Philbin's job too big for him. 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Philbin's job too big for him.
Quote:
Here, the sudden departure of Martin from the Dolphins doesn’t happen unless multiple things went very wrong — things for which the head coach ultimately is responsible.

Philbin is the head coach of an NFL team, one of the 32 most coveted and powerful jobs in all of football. And football coaches are notoriously obsessive about knowing everything there is to know about their teams. If Philbin didn’t know what was happened under his nose, then Salguero may be right. The job of an NFL head coach may be too big for Philbin.

Owner Stephen Ross seems to still be committed to Philbin. The statement issued Friday night after Ross digested the report mentions Philbin three times, pointing out the report’s commendation of Philbin’s “commitment to promoting integrity and accountability.”

But while Philbin had the commitment, he lacked the juice to make it work. When it comes to the head coach of an NFL team, that could be every bit as bad as knowing what was happened.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... g-for-him/

Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:07 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Post Re: Philbin's job too big for him.
then belichick should be fired not knowing that hernandez killed a guy. case closed.

Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:29 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Manhattan wrote:
then belichick should be fired not knowing that hernandez killed a guy. case closed.

Didn't he do this in another state after the season was over?

Philben seems to be a delegater. That is one head coach who probably sleeps well at night (well, used to).

Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:16 pm
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Manhattan wrote:

Hernandez' activities weren't done right under his nose in the team facilities.

Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:58 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

On NFL Network they broke down how a football team is managed. They did a fairly good job of relating it to a business. They stated that head coaches are like CEOs, coordinators would be like upper management, assistant coaches are your mid-level managers, and player councils are like first line managers. CEOs or head coaches don't go into the locker room hardly at all. They're upstairs running the team and delegating to their coordinators and the rest of the staff.

What happened here was unique. You had two players on the leadership council and one assistant coach who were perpetrating the bullying, and at the same time covering it up. This created a perfect storm where enough people in key organizational positions were involved and able to keep the information from reaching more important staffers like Philbin.

If you take time to read the report, you'll see that the offensive line unit had a "Judas" rule. A rule that "snitching" to coaches or anyone else wasn't allowed. In fact, it was in the fine book that the offensive line kept. Long story short, Jim Turner and his two offensive line leaders (Incognito and Pouncey) created a toxic culture and the offensive line as a unit suffered greatly as a result.

I don't blame Philbin for this scandal. But I will judge him by how he handles it from here on. I truly hope they clean house on the offensive line. That means firing Turner and letting free agents like Incognito and Jerry go. It also means exploring trade options with players like Martin and even Pouncey.

Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:04 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I heard NFL coaches and players say they don't know how Philbin would not have gotten wind of this behavior from the trainers and equipment staff. They are the eyes and ears for the coach and GM.
You're being naive if you think Philbin was just clueless to all of this.

Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:25 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Exactly they are the eyes and ears and if they dont say anything how could he know?

Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:55 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Manhattan wrote:
Exactly they are the eyes and ears and if they dont say anything how could he know?

who says that they didn't? That's what I meant about being naive or homeristic. I'm not buying the "Babe in the woods" story from Philbin.

Bottom line is if he knew about it he should be fired. If he had no clue it's almost just as bad because it shows his total disconnect as a leader.

Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:29 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

swerve13 wrote:
Manhattan wrote:

who says that they didn't? That's what I meant about being naive or homeristic. I'm not buying the "Babe in the woods" story from Philbin.

Bottom line is if he knew about it he should be fired. If he had no clue it's almost just as bad because it shows his total disconnect as a leader.

I think it would be worse if they didn't tell him because they lack respect for his leadership. Kind of like a parent who has no control over their kids or turns a naïve blind eye to their activities.

Said it in another thread as well, it is going to be up to the players to pull this team together in 2014.

Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:56 am
Phinfever Global Moderator

swerve13 wrote:
I heard NFL coaches and players say they don't know how Philbin would not have gotten wind of this behavior from the trainers and equipment staff. They are the eyes and ears for the coach and GM.

I agree Swerve. Maybe we will know just how much Philbin knew (or didn't) when he is gone.
I am still waiting for an Ireland interview.

Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:45 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

FINesse wrote:
swerve13 wrote:

I agree Swerve. Maybe we will know just how much Philbin knew (or didn't) when he is gone.
I am still waiting for an Ireland interview.

I don't think an Ireland interview will do any good. And honestly, I really don't want to hear about one. That moron set this franchise back ten years with his decisions on player personnel. I didn't see any positive contribution from him other than causing the entire fan base coming together to voice his firing.

Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:52 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

TommyNoleFin wrote:
I don't think an Ireland interview will do any good. And honestly, I really don't want to hear about one. That moron set this franchise back ten years with his decisions on player personnel. I didn't see any positive contribution from him other than causing the entire fan base coming together to voice his firing.

I will always say this in the guy's defense. If he had his way Miami would have drafted Matt Ryan and it would be a totally different story. I used to buy into the theory that Henne was ruined by Henning but history has shown otherwise.

Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:47 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

swerve13 wrote:
Manhattan wrote:

who says that they didn't?

The Wells report says they didn't.

From page 35

"the Assistant Trainer was offended by the racist comments that repeatedly were sent his way, but did not feel that he had the standing to do anything about it."

Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:52 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Big Dave wrote:
Manhattan wrote:

He did it in Boston, after the season was over.

Not knowing about the murder is one thing. Not knowing what a total scumbag the guy was is another.

Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:27 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

bobby0112 wrote:
"the Assistant Trainer was offended by the racist comments that repeatedly were sent his way, but did not feel that he had the standing to do anything about it."

Such a cop-out.

You don't need standing to go to your superiors if you feel you're being mistreated.

Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:22 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

All BS.

Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:23 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

swerve13 wrote:
Manhattan wrote:

What would you say if the problems were brought to his attention by his leadership council and one of his assistant coachs (i.e. Incognito, Pouncey, and Coach Turner)? Do you see how it is possible that he may have been told about these allegations, but misinformed as to the true nature of them?

Philbin might have known that a couple of players were complaining or not liking their treatment. But if none of those players stepped up and brought it directly to his attention, how would he have gotten in the information?

Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:58 am

I think at this point we will never know who knew what & how much. Nor do I think it really matters anymore. Whether you believe the report is credible or not , a franchise whose reputation we thought could not have been tainted anymore has been.
We are like the den mother who cannot control her teenage girls or just a male version of the housewives or Kardashians.
The whole league will now be put under a microscope for their locker room behavior & more Jonathon Martins will emerge. I am sure the players in this league are just so appreciative of the Dolphins.

Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:21 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Rock Sexton wrote:
bobby0112 wrote:

Such a cop-out.

You don't need standing to go to your superiors if you feel you're being mistreated.

I agree there. If anyone believes that I have some swampland to sell you in the Everglades.

Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:36 am
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

degs wrote:
Big Dave wrote:
Manhattan wrote:

He did it in Boston, after the season was over.

Not knowing about the murder is one thing. Not knowing what a total scumbag the guy was is another.

Hernandez`s next door neighbor was a coach and other player hung out with him at his crack house.

Billycheat should have known and should be held accountable for giving him 8 million per...But then again he got away with cheating worse than Pete Rose for 8 years.

Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:02 am
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]