View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:14 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 This is my take on this sad story of Martin 
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Post This is my take on this sad story of Martin
First off, I played football from middle school into college, and stopped playing after I was deployed. The amount of crap that is said back and forth in practice and in game is close to abuse, but on the other side that's the goal, get in the sobs head. It works, can you imagine what the media would do if every linemen was recorded? It would be rated nc17. I can't even count the number of times in the Military and on the field that I heard the n-word used. Personally I think at the end of all this Martin will take the hardest fall. Even my middle school coach said thing that hurt me but did I play better, I sure did. It's a sad story, but it's a story that the media knows nothing about, and that's the problem.

Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:59 am
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays

Post Re: This is my take on this sad story of Martin
why do you always make 2 copies of the same thread?

Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:31 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

First off, I played football from middle school into college, and stopped playing after I was deployed. The amount of crap that is said back and forth in practice and in game is close to abuse, but on the other side that's the goal, get in the sobs head. It works, can you imagine what the media would do if every linemen was recorded? It would be rated nc17. I can't even count the number of times in the Military and on the field that I heard the n-word used. Personally I think at the end of all this Martin will take the hardest fall. Even my middle school coach said thing that hurt me but did I play better, I sure did. It's a sad story, but it's a story that the media knows nothing about, and that's the problem.

Good post. I believe we have become way to sensitive to feelings and everyone has to play the game and get a trophy. I see it with my kids, it's insane. My son sucked at baseball and I told the coach not to put him infield until he gets better. Him and I worked our asses off so he can improve and he did, we put in work and now he still gets rotated to the outfield. My daughter is a natural pitcher and she pitches the first two innings and no hits. She then gets rotated and we lose. the coaches say it's all about fun. I'm like WTF? I'll be coaching next season......watch the championship come home. lol

Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:06 am
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

I think the double posts are because of my stupid phone.

Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:11 pm
2011 NCAA Pick 'Em Champ
2011 NCAA Pick 'Em Champ

socioanthroman wrote:

This is certainly a plausible explanation for what happened. As Ricky said "The NFL is like a closed fraternity, it's really not made for everyone." We will find out more in the coming weeks I'm sure.

Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:17 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

I get what you're saying about the casual use of the N-word (even though I don't like it, and if I were caught saying it in a similar fashion I would be beaten to a bloody pulp). However, maybe it's just me, but the phrase "half-n****r" usually has a negative connotation to it, in a sense that it is usually worse than if the N-word were used alone. The approximate synonym is "half-breed", and that NEVER has any positive or joking connotation. It gives the sense that the person being targeted doesn't belong to either group (too light/educated to be black, too "one drop" to be white). I feel that if "half-n****r" is ever used, it seemingly is always used in a demeaning manner, never jokingly. And that's were we bring in the Code Red...

Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:06 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

I'm not going to say that anything that happened to Martin was ok, but as for me in college, I had my pants filled with corn and salsa, and my nickname freshmen year was cornhole cause, at the the time I couldn't stop the runback for the life of me. The next year I started five games and then was deployed cause I was 25 at the time. In the military I was with the 1st Recon in Iraq, do you know how much crap we got for being lost for16 hours? We were known as the !@#$stainers for the rest of my deployment. Martin needs to WakeUp and smell the salsa if you know what I mean.

Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:01 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

DevilInPgh you make a point, and I'll spin that argument a different way...

Harry Potter is full of Half-breed references. "Muggles", and at the end of the day those are some of top grossing movies in history. And children are using negative derogatory terms to other children and the movies are Rated G and PG. Hell the books are best sellers.

So my point being. Are half breed references only acceptable in fiction and the movies? I mean even children are exposed to such terminology. We are talking bout a sport of over grown barbarians, and we are now going to get over sensitized over a half breed reference? Lets be logical here. This is really a non issue....

If there is any offense to be taken out of all of this, its the N*g*er term itself, not the half-n*g*er term. There is enough justification in the children's media to support this claim. And if I am way off the mark on this, well shame on society, not the Dolphins..... its the society that we live in that has cultivated graphic derogatory verbage to be acceptable, not the Dolphins organization for turning the blind eye to it

Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:19 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

In the military I was with the 1st Recon in Iraq

Thanks for serving.

Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:27 am
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

My second day of football camp as a freshmen we were raided at midnight by the Jrs and Snrs who stripped off our clothes and threw us in an ice cold pond outside the service cabin with the only females on the grounds. So there I was, butt-naked trying to get my clothes out of a tree when 3 girls came up...FML. I went through the whole George discussion on shrinkage in 40 degree water to a chorus of giggles. If that wasn't bad enough, they snuck down after lunch on day 3 and put Icy Hot in all of our jocks. The coach was in on it because he came to the cafeteria and ended lunch 15 minutes early and sounded pissed and wanted everyone on the field in 15 minutes. That is one day I'm so glad I was slow. The fast guys got to their bunks and started suiting up. I came in and smelled Icy hot but didn't give it a second thought....about a minute later I some guy scream at the top of his lungs...."YOU PUT THAT crap in my JOCK!!!!. About 5 guys did a dead sprint to the showers and came out with towels wrapped around their privates. I dug out my jocks...sure enough full of icy hot. I washed it out in the sink with soap but still felt a little burn during practice. I've never laughed so hard looking at that guys face who screamed...his eyes were as big as plates. :haha

Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:38 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]