View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:07 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Pioli 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Post Pioli
Sorry to switch the conversation from the Scandal but I was wondering if Scott Pioli should be credited with building this current Chiefs team? I heard he was a bad GM but I thought he drafted well.

Thoughts?

Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:41 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post Re: Pioli
He got stuck with a bad coach and a bad QB.

You put him at GM with Ryan Tannehill to build around, and he hires a competent Head Coach, and I think we're in good position.

Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:50 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Phins Rock wrote:

Uh, he signed Matt Cassel and hired both Todd Haley and Romeo Crennel. Rather, he just got lucky with an Andy Reid who hasn't had a chance to screw up the Chiefs yet and an Alex Smith who is finally maturing 8 years after he was drafted.

Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:59 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

DevilInPgh wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

Uh, he signed Matt Cassel and hired both Todd Haley and Romeo Crennel. Rather, he just got lucky with an Andy Reid who hasn't had a chance to screw up the Chiefs yet and an Alex Smith who is finally maturing 8 years after he was drafted.

There you go. I think this is a 0-1 team in the playoffs this year. They're solid, but not special in my opinion. They could prove me wrong, but I don't think so.

Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:06 am
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Wasn't Pioli hated for the same reasons as Ireland? Cold, all business, his way or the highway, etc.

In terms of wrong coach and QB, Haley was a hot name at the time and Cassel did have a very solid second season.

I just can't believe we're having these conversations half way into this season. Never would have thought that after the first 3 games.

Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:28 am
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Yea, I think only NFLN has made the comment. The Chiefs have not faced a teams starting QB since September...... I think this plays a huge factor into their win streak. They have had a very soft schedule...

Just wait til they lose to the chargers and denver twice

Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:04 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Big Dave wrote:
DevilInPgh wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

There you go. I think this is a 0-1 team in the playoffs this year. They're solid, but not special in my opinion. They could prove me wrong, but I don't think so.

They are more likely headed to the playoffs than Miami. Whatever the recipe for success is, they are winning. Its early November and they are about 2 wins away from locking up at least a wild card spot.

Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:07 am
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

Here's Pioli's career in a nutshell...

Baltimore Ravens
When the Browns moved to Baltimore after the 1995 season, Pioli stayed with the team and was promoted to Pro Personnel Coordinator for the Ravens' 1996 season and was part of the personnel staff that drafted HOFer Jonathan Ogden and Ray Lewis.

New York Jets
Pioli was credited with the signing of a number of veteran free agents, including Kevin Mawae, Vinny Testaverde and Bryan Cox, who played critical roles in the Jets' rebuilding process which helped the team rebound from a 1-15 record in 1996 to a 12-4 record in 1998.

New England Patriots
When Belichick accepted the Patriots' head coaching position in 2000, Pioli became vice president of player personnel. The two eventually became the first personnel director/head coach tandem in league annals to win three Super Bowls during a four-year span (2001–2004).[2] He and Belichick split the duties usually held by a general manager on most other NFL teams, though Belichick had the final say.[4]

Pioli’s skills as a talent evaluator helped create a consistent championship contender in New England.[2] He was regularly recognized for his ability to build a team, not simply collecting individual talent,[2] helping to make the Patriots a "model franchise."[2] From 2000–2008, the Patriots had an NFL-best record of 102-42 (.708) and registered 14 playoff victories.[2] Pioli worked in close coordination with Belichick, bringing players to the Patriots who fit into the framework of the club’s team concept.[2] Pioli and Belichick's teams were noted for the depth of talent at all the positions[2] and used an effective combination of draft picks, free-agent signings, and trades to continually upgrade their roster.[2] The most-notable selection in an NFL Draft by Pioli and Belichick was quarterback Tom Brady, who was chosen 199th overall in the 2000 NFL Draft.[2]

In his tenure with the Patriots, Pioli earned promotions from Assistant Director of Player Personnel to Director of Player Personnel in 2001, and to Vice President of Player Personnel in 2002. Also, Pioli earned a contract extension in 2005 after being pursued by several NFL teams to become general manager.

In 2007, the Patriots finished their regular season with a 16-0 record, a first in NFL history. The team advanced to Super Bowl XLII but lost to the New York Giants 17-14 and failed to finish the season with a perfect 19-0 record. Prior to the season, Pioli executed trades to acquire wide receivers Wes Welker and Randy Moss, both of whom helped the Patriots set multiple NFL records on offense.

Kansas City Chiefs
The Chiefs information is pretty bad... including signing Matt Cassel, and trading Tony Gonzalez for a draft pick which eventually turned into Javier Arenas.

Drafts:

2009: Tyson Jackson, Ryan Succop
2010: Eric Berry, Dexter McCluster, Jon Asamoah, Kendrick Lewis
2011: Rodney Hudson, Justin Houston
2012: Dontari Poe, Junior Hemingway

Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]