Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:25 am 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

The Good

About the only positive in this game was the play of Jerome Baker, who was all over the field with 16 tackles, 1 sack and forced fumble that prevented a New England score.

I guess we can thrown in that the pass protection did not look atrocious as it has so often over the past decade. Something to keep an eye on with another revamped offensive line.

The Bad

This list will run long and deep.

Fitztragic was on full display with 3 interceptions and leading an anemic offense that only produced 11 points.

The running game struggled, although Gaskin and Breida did show some bright spots. But Jordan Howard was invisible.

Devante Parker injured again.

While the Dolphins were incapable of stopping what is essentially a college offense, the Dolphins wide outs aside from Parker were incapable of creating separation.

It is not even an exaggeration that the Patriots were running a college offense. They literally were. Most decent NFL defenses would know to penetrate and disrupt. The Dolphins defense hung back, misread plays and let Cam Newton do whatever he wanted.

The Ugly

I guess the quality of play was a symptom of the times. Shortened training camps and no preseason games due to the pandemic. The Dolphins are a young team that benefit more from that type of activity. Now they have to learn on the fly. And it may be this ugly for a couple more weeks before some players get their legs under them.

Overall

Great to have football and a little bit of normalcy back in our lives. The Dolphins are a very young team that may struggle early. Up next are the Bills, who will present another tough opponent. The Dolphins need to get their run game and run stop game going to be able to compete against these teams. If they are not able to improve in these areas, it will be another long season. The other question is, how much Fitzmagic vs Fitztragic will we get? If we keep seeing more of the latter, how quickly can we expect Tua to see the field? And how will he perform given the abridged training camp? In my opinion, it is only a matter of time before a quarterback controversy materializes.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:45 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Who is this Rich person? : ) good write up per usual.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:37 pm 
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

I know folks around here aren't too keen on Omar, but he was pointing out during the game that Fitz's arm doesn't look good, having to push passes. Maybe this will lead to an earlier than expected showing for Tua. I personally had hoped that Fitz would continue his solid play from the end of last season, but between some poor judgment throwing into double coverage and WR not getting separation it may lead to a change.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:34 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Little off topic but I wonder how the spreads have adjusted to the lack of any real home field advantage now? Home team usually gets 3 points & Buffalo is favored by 4 “at” Miami this weekend. I’m guessing they adjust 1.5 points with these ghost crowds.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:34 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Excellent job, Rich, and I agree with about everything you wrote about. I think my expectations were lower than others as I expected to see Fitzpatrick on his butt a lot, but the OL did a pretty good job in pass blocking against a Belichick coached team that knew it was a weakness. So, I was pleased with the pass blocking for game 1. However, despite the decent protection Fitzpatrick didn't do much with it. 11 offensive points is a failure for the offense against a defense missing some key players.

Aside from his 2nd INT, I didn't blame Fitzpatrick on the other 2 interceptions as they were pass interference that weren't called. Still, as you said, he didn't push us down the field good enough.

But, as far as run blocking the offensive line did poorly and this was a disappointment as we were told that they were better at run blocking.

My other disappointment was our run defense. Such a head-scratcher after spending all that money in free agency. We didn't seem to bring their running backs down in a hurry either as they would drag our defense a few yards down the field on each run.

It seemed to me that every pass we threw our receivers were tightly covered even when they weren't interfered with. Can we not gain separation? At times like this we could sure use a Jarvis Landry who knew how to find ways to get open.

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:55 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

PFF wrote:
Highest graded #Dolphins defender in Week 1:

➤ Christian Wilkins 80.0 OVR
76.7 Run D
2 Batted passes

https://twitter.com/PFF_Dolphins/status ... 1038640129

Travis Wingfield wrote:
Austin Jackson -- the third-youngest player in the NFL -- pitched a clean sheet in pass protection per PFF. 38 pass blocking snaps, 0 sacks, 0 hits, 0 hurries.

Solomon Kindley was credited with just one hurry allowed.

https://twitter.com/WingfieldNFL/status ... 5069405185

John Houtz wrote:
#dolphins safety brandon jones joins xavien howard, fred warner, devin bush, and shaquill griffin as one of only five players since 2016 to record double-digit tackles in their NFL debut.

Brandon jones had 10 tackles (7 solo) vs NE

https://twitter.com/houtz/status/1305327072555003904

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:21 pm 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Fitz will have to really be dismal for Flores to make a move he's trying to avoid, or delay as long as possible. Face it, Fins aren't going anywhere this year anyway, not with Tua, not with Fitz, not with anybody. Their o-line has all of one game to show playing as a unit, with a preseason this would have been their fourth week of game action. We have to like Jackson and Kindley. Watching the game again, that Kindley is a road grader. So give them four, five more weeks. And naturally, this hasn't helped the putrid running game with Flores doing his part by playing musical chairs with the running backs. Breida had only five carries?! Gaskin? Please.

And besides. If Tua goes in there no one I think is going to worry how he looks as a QB. The concern will be is he getting up. He hasn't even gotten his uniform dirty yet.

Play it out with Fitz while getting the o-line more work, and find some receivers, will ya?

Over on defense, this Van Noy guy was always on the screen it seemed making plays when at NE. Was he even out there yesterday? I think Flores' reputation as a DC is beginning to sound awfully similar to that so-called QB "whisperer" the Fins hired some years ago.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:54 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

So far for week 1, the Phins only outscored one team....the Browns.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:03 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

1. Even missing players, the NE defense is no joke. They make a lot of teams look bad, including us.
2. All of our nifty-shifty WR options were inactive. I don't get that. Put Perry out there and let's also see what we have in Bowden. Use Grant more, too.
3. I do believe the run blocking will improve as the unit plays together more. My biggest worry is the run defense. I thought that the NE boys we picked up would help in that area. Not so far. Scheme problem?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:10 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Grant won’t last the season. He got rocked twice yesterday....once he impressively bounced off...but that frame can not take that punishment for long.

I think the Bills will humiliate NE next week.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:25 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Phinished wrote:
Grant won’t last the season. He got rocked twice yesterday....once he impressively bounced off...but that frame can not take that punishment for long.

I think you meant the Seahawks as we got the Bills, and they will challenge the Patsies for the AFC East this year.

Don't get old like Big Dave, Phinished.

:haha

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:57 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Big Dave wrote:
Phinished wrote:

I think you meant the Seahawks as we got the Bills, and they will challenge the Patsies for the AFC East this year.

Don't get old like Big Dave, Phinished.

:haha

get old? I am old. You almost have to be to be a Phin fan. Seahawks should jack up the Patriots just fine.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:01 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

He can’t be worse than Rosen? Please.....

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:00 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

k-dash wrote:
1. Even missing players, the NE defense is no joke. They make a lot of teams look bad, including us.

Just imagine how much worse it would have been if all of their defensive talent was on the field. Not a good sign for Miami's QB and skill players.

Oh, hi Ken!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:28 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Another thing I noticed...Does Gesicki ever try to make a catch BEFORE he tries to get a pass interference call?

I really think he's trying to get a PI call on every route he runs, regardless if he gets the ball thrown his way, or not.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:19 am 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Nice write up, Rich. Offensively, Miami had a few drives moving the ball then interceptions spoiled everything. One of them Williams slipped, the other was an absolutely horrible decision right before halftime. The third pick was a bad no call.

Gaskin was a threat both running and catching, but the most impressive runs of the day (unfortunately) came from Fitzpatrick scrambling. Can't win too many ball games that way.

Defensively, the 21-11 score looks closer on the scoreboard than it was due to the fumble touchback towards the end of the 3rd quarter and the missed field goal before the half.

It seemed like tight ends got open at will, and I started to lose count how many times no one would be on the outside and NE would just run to the edge for huge gains.

The real deflating moment for me was the last drive of the 4th quarter. Down 3 the team had a chance, just needed a stop, and Edelman burns the whole defense to the right for 25 and then got 15 more for a late hit out of bounds. What could have been a game changing stop was just another disaster.

Buffalo and New England are very similar offensively, with the Bills having more developed passing plays in the years Allen has been there. I'm sure they have had a field day looking at what they can accomplish if Miami can't stop the run. Am looking forward to seeing how the team bounces back. Hoping for more than 3 for the Phins in the first half.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:09 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

DanRambo wrote:
The real deflating moment for me was the last drive of the 4th quarter. Down 3 the team had a chance, just needed a stop, and Edelman burns the whole defense to the right for 25 and then got 15 more for a late hit out of bounds. What could have been a game changing stop was just another disaster.

Just watched this play several times on slow mo. LB blitzes inside completely exposing the right side and Eric Rowe keys on the RB without realizing Edelman had the ball. Seemed like the entire defense focused on stopping something up the middle.

I've never played professional football but even I recognize it was sloppy design or execution. Completely left a flank exposed and it probably cost them a chance to stay in the game late.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:17 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Big Dave wrote:
Aside from his 2nd INT, I didn't blame Fitzpatrick on the other 2 interceptions as they were pass interference that weren't called. Still, as you said, he didn't push us down the field good enough.

While there was contact on the last pick it was a poorly thrown ball. You have your big target Gesicki and it looked like Fitzpatrick threw it behind him. I didn't see Gesicki's arms being held too badly but he was bumped.

Fitzpatrick plays tough but I fear too many of these games will end the same way.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:23 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

jammer wrote:
Big Dave wrote:

While there was contact on the last pick it was a poorly thrown ball. You have your big target Gesicki and it looked like Fitzpatrick threw it behind him. I didn't see Gesicki's arms being held too badly but he was bumped.

Fitzpatrick plays tough but I fear too many of these games will end the same way.

He also threw in double-coverage, too. Too risky when you can come away with a FG and hope to get it back on the kickoff.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:47 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Big Dave wrote:
He also threw in double-coverage, too. Too risky when you can come away with a FG and hope to get it back on the kickoff.

Yeah there wasn't a ton of room for a throw like that. Grant's guy peeled off of him and intercepted the pass. Probably read that Fitzpatrick was going Gesicki all the way. If Fitzpatrick threw a jump ball it would have at least been overthrown so they could live to fight another play.

This is the Fitz Miami signed up for. Sometimes those gutsy throws work and the team loves him for it. But if they worked more often he'd be a consistent, playoff winning QB.

I imagine when Tua gets in there you'll see more of what we're witnessing from Joe Burrow. Shorter throws with the hope of getting speedy guys in space. Its going to be a painful process waiting for him to be ready and then a nonstop worry about every hit he takes. I hope Miami invests in another young QB to both hedge against Tua injuries and rid themselves of the Fitzpatrick rollercoaster.

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]