Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next
 Post subject: Tua
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:43 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Tua loses to Georgia and all of a sudden no one wants him. Last year was his first year as a college starting QB. I really like the kid. I'm not too much into south-paw type quarterbacks, but the talent is undeniable. Sign me up for Tua.

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

Post subject: Re: Tua
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:57 am 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

I do not like Tua at all.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:44 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Do you know any southpaw QBs with his arch & throwing posture that had real success in the pros?

His motions remind me of Tebow. Not comparing the two’s game but their throwing motion is very similar.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:46 am 
Admin | Forum Design
Admin | Forum Design

And I mena, let's be honest here, that "BOMB" to Jeudy for 81 yards... he was so wide open, I could've made that throw... and you know... I'm blind and everything.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:34 pm 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

and you are an Alabama fan!!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:59 pm 
Phinfever Global Moderator

Would not touch him. I like Fromm but still think its an over rated QB class.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:24 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:55 pm 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Tua is undersized and his mechanics are that of a spread option QB. They rarely, if ever, have sustained success in this league.

I'm telling ya, the smart thing to do would be to beef up the trenches and trade some picks for picks in 2021, then grab Trevor Lawrence out of Clemson if Rosen isn't performing behind a better line.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:20 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
Do you know any southpaw QBs with his arch & throwing posture that had real success in the pros?

His motions remind me of Tebow. Not comparing the two’s game but their throwing motion is very similar.

There is a major difference...Tua hits his targets with anticipation and accuracy.

He does subtle things in the pocket that reminds me of the greats and his ball placement is second to none.

I see Russell Wilson when I watch him play.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:24 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:
There is a major difference...Tua hits his targets with anticipation and accuracy.

He does subtle things in the pocket that reminds me of the greats and his ball placement is second to none.

That’s why I said I was only comparing their throwing motions.

I’d prefer this team to build the trenches & have Lawerence in mind for 2021.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:47 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
That’s why I said I was only comparing their throwing motions.

I’d prefer this team to build the trenches & have Lawerence in mind for 2021.

The only team that would deal the 1st overall pick would be Kansas City. Otherwise it will be very hard to plan to be 1st overall in 2021 at this point.

I get it, but if this team wisely spends their picks next year without drafting a QB they will not be picking 1st overall. I've seen enough Rosen film to know he'll be decent.

Tua may not have Lawrence's size, but I don't see that big of a difference between the two in terms of prospect caliber.

Still early and so much can change. What I like about both of them is the stage is not too big. Miami hasn't seen that in a long time.

Crossing my fingers that Rosen finds a way. His throwing motion is about as pretty as it gets.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:50 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

ArtieChokePhin wrote:
Tua is undersized and his mechanics are that of a spread option QB.

I strongly disagree with this. And I've yet to read a single scout describe that about him.

His release may not be the fastest, and he's already sustained injuries, but those are his only knocks.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:51 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

No QB prospect has been talked about the way Lawerence has outside of Peyton Manning & Luck. People are drooling over him.

He was literally born to play QB at the highest level. He has the body of a pocket passing wizard.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:06 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
No QB prospect has been talked about the way Lawerence has outside of Peyton Manning & Luck. People are drooling over him.

He was literally born to play QB at the highest level. He has the body of a pocket passing wizard.

I don't disagree. But both he and Tua have roughly the same numbers and accomplishments relative to their time in CFB. Both don't shrink in the big moment.

Rodgers has a much better skill set than both Brees and Brady, yet they are all considered the best.

Just saying I don't think Miami can go wrong with Tua.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:40 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

ArtieChokePhin wrote:
Tua is undersized and his mechanics are that of a spread option QB. They rarely, if ever, have sustained success in this league.

I'm telling ya, the smart thing to do would be to beef up the trenches and trade some picks for picks in 2021, then grab Trevor Lawrence out of Clemson if Rosen isn't performing behind a better line.

I agree with this plan. Look how Cleveland waited and accumulated picks until they knew who they wanted to draft. Why draft a QB and stick him behind a crap line? Build the trenches in 2020, and draft the skilled positions in 2021.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:05 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Get Tua.

If this year ends with us getting the first pick and we DONT take a QB with it, then I can’t imagine the reaction. A two year tank is impractical and unwarranted. If Flores and Grier got the goods, then this is a one year rebuild and 2020 season puts us in the range of 5-7 wins, and 2021 has us primed for 8-9 wins and maybe a 6 seed. Plus we have all that cap space.

No way do I endorse a two years of 1/2 win seasons.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:12 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Is it a given that Lawrence will come out a year early in 2021? What if he decides to play instead?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:30 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

1984phins wrote:
Get Tua.

If this year ends with us getting the first pick and we DONT take a QB with it, then I can’t imagine the reaction. A two year tank is impractical and unwarranted. If Flores and Grier got the goods, then this is a one year rebuild and 2020 season puts us in the range of 5-7 wins, and 2021 has us primed for 8-9 wins and maybe a 6 seed. Plus we have all that cap space.

No way do I endorse a two years of 1/2 win seasons.

That’s not the way I’m looking at it. This game is a marathon. Great careers span decades. An extra year of locking & loading the trenches in preparation for making a move on a player that has been put on the same pedestal as Andrew Luck & Peyton Manning coming out of college wouldn’t be tanking. Some people just love the definition of insanity. You’re trying to win a battle. I want to win the war.

The situation will be more clear this spring.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:48 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

jammer wrote:

Yep, see the same things when I watch Tua play. And, remember, I watched Russell Wilson for 3 years here at NC State and I do see the comparison. He reads defenses well and he has great accuracy. If I have the overall #1 pick, I'd be a fool to not draft him. He will be the best college QB to come out in a very long time who did it consistently year after year.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:09 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Phin wrote:
I agree with this plan. Look how Cleveland waited and accumulated picks until they knew who they wanted to draft. Why draft a QB and stick him behind a crap line? Build the trenches in 2020, and draft the skilled positions in 2021.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That isn't necessarily apples to apples. Cleveland didn't see Baker Mayfield two years out and say we are gearing up to get him. They identified him at some point his senior year and new they could get him after securing the 1st overall pick.

We are talking about identifying a guy in the 2021 draft and making sure we have the 1st overall pick to secure him. Even Cleveland wasn't trying for the 1st overall pick last year, they just sucked without tanking. I don't know how you tank two years in a row without the NFL investigating and possibly stripping you of the pick.

Miami is going to be able to "buy" two decent OL in free agency next year. They'll have $120 million in cash and no one on the roster to extend.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:25 pm 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

AQNOR wrote:
Is it a given that Lawrence will come out a year early in 2021? What if he decides to play instead?

Unless he gets seriously hurt or craps the bed, he's a sure fire number one pick in 2021. No way he turns down those millions

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:13 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

ArtieChokePhin wrote:
AQNOR wrote:

Unless he gets seriously hurt or craps the bed, he's a sure fire number one pick in 2021. No way he turns down those millions

A young person with options is not a sure thing in my mind, likely maybe but as you mentioned this is not a sure thing as uncounted on things like injuries do happen so to count on him being there is not a done deal imo.

Passing on Tua to get Lawrence then missing both would be so ... Not good.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:08 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Guys....

Building up the trenches (which is kinda a major need) & riding with Rosen for another year to gear up for a generational QB is not tanking. I feel like people have already forgotten we have a young passer with great natural talent still on the roster.

It isn’t like we have John Beck eagerly awaiting his shot behind Fitzpatrick. There is upside. There are several scenarios that can have Miami land Lawrence.

None of them involve purposefully tanking.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:01 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
Guys....

Building up the trenches (which is kinda a major need) & riding with Rosen for another year to gear up for a generational QB is not tanking.

Whoever has the 1st overall pick in 2021 isn't passing on the chance for Lawrence (if he continues to build on what he did last year). I don't see how you can bank on getting him two years out when you have two excellent prospects (Tua, Love) staring you in the face this year.

If Miami has a top 5 pick in 2020 its going to be a QB.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:40 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Just to be clear, my first hope is that Rosen succeeds. His throwing motion is second to none. He looks the part of a future franchise QB.

I don't know if the maturity issue is still there and clearly he isn't a ra ra leader (but plenty of successful QBs are not). He also may be too much of a gambler at this point.

It would be awesome if he came in, lifted the talent around him and Miami now had a top 10 pick (lets not go crazy with hope) which could be spent on another position. OL, secondary, pass rush...trust me they need help.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:06 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

A little info courtesy of PFN. According to them (and this relates to Miami drafting Minkah), if either Rosen or Allen were on the board at their pick in 2018 they would have pulled trigger.

This explains the trade for Rosen. Perhaps he'll get a chance after all?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:02 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

This is for ALL the hard work the front has put in to rebuild this team ... and our target. I'm sold. He was phenomenal yesterday.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:43 am 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

One game dave? Against a highschool football team?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:25 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Makchell wrote:

They didn't play against Makchell State University. South Carolina is a legit program.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:04 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Makchell wrote:

Knowing Dave a little bit I would not be surprised if he has seen other tape and or games and has put more thought into it than just this one game but I am sure he will correct me if I have misrepresented him.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:24 pm 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

You are right jammer. Makchell state would destroy them.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:40 pm 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

jammer wrote:
Just to be clear, my first hope is that Rosen succeeds. His throwing motion is second to none. He looks the part of a future franchise QB.

I don't know if the maturity issue is still there and clearly he isn't a ra ra leader (but plenty of successful QBs are not). He also may be too much of a gambler at this point.

It would be awesome if he came in, lifted the talent around him and Miami now had a top 10 pick (lets not go crazy with hope) which could be spent on another position. OL, secondary, pass rush...trust me they need help.

Exactly. (Does this forum not have a "like" button to use on posts like this?)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:37 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

AQNOR wrote:
Knowing Dave a little bit I would not be surprised if he has seen other tape and or games and has put more thought into it than just this one game but I am sure he will correct me if I have misrepresented him.

Thanks for giving me a little credit, Mark. I do put together a lot of tape on players, not just a couple of plays;) I'm not as crazy about college ball as Jammer or Tone used to be, but I do look at prospects from all over and I read a lot of analysis on players. If I say that a QB is special, he is special. I think people see that he is surrounded by a lot of talent at Alabama and that he lost the big game last year, but Tua does a lot of things with the football that shows that his mind is NFL ready. I like Rosen, but if he doesn't look like he is special then I would go ahead and draft Tua. You always want to improve EVERY position on your team. If you can improve the QB position you do it. We are in a rebuild.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:33 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Makchell wrote:

Anthony, if I tell you there is cheese on the moon you'd better bring some crackers and get ready for some good eating, buddy.

:haha

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:42 pm 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Ill bring the wine dave

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:16 pm 

Tua comes here his career is over before it starts.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:51 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Watch Tua pull an Eli Manning on draft day.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:59 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Makchell wrote:

What is the average SAT score for students at this institution?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:10 pm 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

jammer wrote:
Makchell wrote:

What is the average SAT score for students at this institution?

The more appropriate questions to ask are what color their teeth are and what their relationship to their parents is.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:03 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
That’s not the way I’m looking at it. This game is a marathon. Great careers span decades. An extra year of locking & loading the trenches in preparation for making a move on a player that has been put on the same pedestal as Andrew Luck & Peyton Manning coming out of college wouldn’t be tanking. Some people just love the definition of insanity. You’re trying to win a battle. I want to win the war.

The situation will be more clear this spring.

Okay dude, who is your source? Now Mike Florio is reporting that league circles believe Miami is truly tanking for Lawrence. PFN, who has been sort of hinting Tua or Love, is now saying they won't comment just yet.

How on earth do you target a guy 2 years out when so many variables stand in your way to position the team to draft him?

Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next