All times are UTC-05:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:07 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Strange, he was unwanted, comes to Miami, and is making a difference for us. Who else can we find out there sitting on the couch... and please don't say Kapernut.

Barry Jackson wrote:
Nick O’Leary has established himself as the team’s No. 1 tight end. He played 52 snaps, compared with 27 for Mike Gesicki and five for Durham Smythe.

“He does a good job with both run [and] pass protection and what our game plan was,” Gase said. “The tight end was not going to be involved as much, and Mike [Gesicki] knew that going into the game and we probably thought we were going to go a little more two-tight end personnel. But it didn’t go that way … we were able to do a lot of things with him in there.”

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt- ... rylink=cpy

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:10 pm 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

So much for our preseason 2nd rd stud.....not.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:22 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

PFF Team of the Week wrote:
Tight End
Nick O’Leary, Miami Dolphins – 80.7

One of the keys to the Dolphins upset win over the Chicago Bears, O’Leary averaged 3.06 yards per route run, picking up four receptions for 49 yards and a touchdown from 16 snaps on the field as a receiver.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:52 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

I read today that TE is a position that takes the most time developing in the NFL. Don't give up on him yet.
Makchell wrote:

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:19 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

k-dash wrote:
I read today that TE is a position that takes the most time developing in the NFL. Don't give up on him yet.
Makchell wrote:

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

True. And let's give Gase a little credit in that he was right in wanting the Dolphins to add Kenny Stills, Danny Amendola, and Albert Wilson. Let's be honest, there isn't enough balls to make talent like this happy, but these guys have not complained about a lack of passes. Stills didn't see hardly any targets last week, but he caught one that was designed for Amendola but Amendola fell down and he converted the 2 pt conversion. And, Stills caught the deflection on a key 3rd down late in the game. Without either of those receptions I would say that we would have lost this game.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:43 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

You are hearing "Brocktober" ... now we are hearing "The Legend of Nick O'Leary". See what a big win brings? Hope. Get me on that bus until the pixie dust wears off.

Jason Leiser wrote:
The Legend of Nick O’Leary, as the Dolphins call it, began when they plucked him from him unemployment and signed him to their practice squad a month ago, then assigned him the unglamorous role of scout team fullback. Pretending to play a position that barely exists anymore — If that’s not starting at the bottom, what is?

https://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/20 ... tice-squad

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:17 am 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Makchell wrote:

The tight end position is difficult for rookies especially if you aren't a blocker. He has time but O'Leary is more polished he's being used right and has the coaching

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:13 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Makchell wrote:

Yeap. Shameful that a low drafted cast off and make his mark so quick on this team and yet another Miami draft pick is slow out of the gate or yet to be determined if he will get out of the gate.

It just seems Miami drafts bust after bust after bust on high picks.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:23 pm 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Dphins4me wrote:
Makchell wrote:

Yeap. Shameful that a low drafted cast off and make his mark so quick on this team and yet another Miami draft pick is slow out of the gate or yet to be determined if he will get out of the gate.

It just seems Miami drafts bust after bust after bust on high picks.

Pro Bowl caliber players Laremy Tunsil and Xavien Howard, big payday coming tackle JW'Wan James, Landry who got paid, all rookie 1st team Minkah Fitzpatrick, Jerome Baker and Raekwon balling as 1st year linebackers are all laughing at this

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:13 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

ag_fin_90 wrote:

Pro Bowl caliber players Laremy Tunsil and Xavien Howard, big payday coming tackle JW'Wan James, Landry who got paid, all rookie 1st team Minkah Fitzpatrick, Jerome Baker and Raekwon balling as 1st year linebackers are all laughing at this

Thank you for cherry picking and missing the point. I did not say always pick bust, I stated it just "SEEMS" like they draft bust after bust.

However, since you replied with such disrespect. Lets look at the last 10 yrs and I will include the 3rd Rd, even though I personally do not actually see a 3rd as a high pick.

Dphins4me wrote:
2018 - Fitzpatrick, Gesicki & Baker

Way to early, but returns have been mixed.

Dphins4me wrote:
2017 - Harris, McMillan, Tankersley

Still early but Harris appears to be a miss. McMillan looks to be a serviceable LBer & Tank is still a question.

Recap: Early returns are mixed, but not looking promising unless Tankersley hits.

Dphins4me wrote:
2016 - Tunsil, Howard, Drake, Carroo

Tunsil is developing. Howard looks to be one of the top corners in the NFL. Drake is serviceable,
Carroo is a bust.

Probably the best top of the draft Miami has had in yrs. Still has a bust with Carroo

Recap: Great class. Best in two plus decades.

Dphins4me wrote:
2015 - Parker, Phillips

Entire top of draft was a bust.

Recap: 2 swings, 2 misses.

Dphins4me wrote:
2014 - James, Landry and Turner

James has been serviceable. Landry was 2nd tier stud. Turner a bust.

Recap: One serviceable, one semi-stud and a bust.

Dphins4me wrote:
2013 - Jordan, Taylor, Thomas & Davis.

Entire top of draft was a bust. Lets not mention the 2nd Rd. pick given up to get Jordan.

Recap: 5 swings, 4 misses

Dphins4me wrote:
2012 - THill, Martin & Vernon

THill / Vernon were serviceable and of course Martin was a bust.

Two serviceable players and a bust.

Dphins4me wrote:
2011 - Pouncey, Thomas

Pouncey was a stud, but could not stay on the field, so I annoint him slightly above serviceable. Thomas was a bust.

Recap: One always injured stud and a bust

Dphins4me wrote:
2010 - Odrick, Misi & Jerry.

Odrick / Misi were serviceable. Misi made more headlines off the field than on. Jerry was a bust.

Recap: Two serviceable players and one bust

Dphins4me wrote:
2009 - Davis, White, Smith & Turner

Davis / Smith - Serviceable, Turner Bust

Recap - Two serviceable players who only lasted their rookie deals & two bust.

Dphins4me wrote:
2008 - Long, Merling, Henne & Langford.

Long decent but only lasted 5 yrs in the NFL. Merling/Henne were bust and Langford was serviceable.

Recap. No studs, two serviceable and two bust.

So, my point is pretty much right on point. Thank you for playing along. :dropthemic

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:52 pm 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Dphins4me wrote:
ag_fin_90 wrote:

Thank you for cherry picking and missing the point. I did not say always pick bust, I stated it just "SEEMS" like they draft bust after bust.

However, since you replied with such disrespect. Lets look at the last 10 yrs and I will include the 3rd Rd, even though I personally do not actually see a 3rd as a high pick.

Dphins4me wrote:
2018 - Fitzpatrick, Gesicki & Baker

Way to early, but returns have been mixed.

Dphins4me wrote:
2017 - Harris, McMillan, Tankersley

Still early but Harris appears to be a miss. McMillan looks to be a serviceable LBer & Tank is still a question.

Recap: Early returns are mixed, but not looking promising unless Tankersley hits.

Dphins4me wrote:
2016 - Tunsil, Howard, Drake, Carroo

Tunsil is developing. Howard looks to be one of the top corners in the NFL. Drake is serviceable,
Carroo is a bust.

Probably the best top of the draft Miami has had in yrs. Still has a bust with Carroo

Recap: Great class. Best in two plus decades.

Dphins4me wrote:
2015 - Parker, Phillips

Entire top of draft was a bust.

Recap: 2 swings, 2 misses.

Dphins4me wrote:
2014 - James, Landry and Turner

James has been serviceable. Landry was 2nd tier stud. Turner a bust.

Recap: One serviceable, one semi-stud and a bust.

Dphins4me wrote:
2013 - Jordan, Taylor, Thomas & Davis.

Entire top of draft was a bust. Lets not mention the 2nd Rd. pick given up to get Jordan.

Recap: 5 swings, 4 misses

Dphins4me wrote:
2012 - THill, Martin & Vernon

THill / Vernon were serviceable and of course Martin was a bust.

Two serviceable players and a bust.

Dphins4me wrote:
2011 - Pouncey, Thomas

Pouncey was a stud, but could not stay on the field, so I annoint him slightly above serviceable. Thomas was a bust.

Recap: One always injured stud and a bust

Dphins4me wrote:
2010 - Odrick, Misi & Jerry.

Odrick / Misi were serviceable. Misi made more headlines off the field than on. Jerry was a bust.

Recap: Two serviceable players and one bust

Dphins4me wrote:
2009 - Davis, White, Smith & Turner

Davis / Smith - Serviceable, Turner Bust

Recap - Two serviceable players who only lasted their rookie deals & two bust.

Dphins4me wrote:
2008 - Long, Merling, Henne & Langford.

Long decent but only lasted 5 yrs in the NFL. Merling/Henne were bust and Langford was serviceable.

Recap. No studs, two serviceable and two bust.

So, my point is pretty much right on point. Thank you for playing along. :dropthemic

Yes let's whine and cry about the past from a previous staff instead of realizing that this nrw staff in 3 years have drafted very very well because hey that's what many Dolphin fans do stay with a corny a$$ loser mentality and if somebody tries to say the good things the whining a$$ guy shows why he's miserable and then drops the mic because he wins being wait for it..... Miserable. Thanks for playing the crying game tho

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:53 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

ag_fin_90 wrote:
[
Yes let's whine and cry about the past from a previous staff instead of realizing that this nrw staff in 3 years have drafted very very well because hey that's what many Dolphin fans do stay with a corny a$$ loser mentality and if somebody tries to say the good things the whining a$$ guy shows why he's miserable and then drops the mic because he wins being wait for it..... Miserable. Thanks for playing the crying game tho

The organization does not get a reboot every time they hire new people, because they have hired poorly in the past. Their history is still their history. Whether is the current staff or not. Its still their history.

Nothing miserable going on here, just not a pollyanna who buys the crap this team has been feeding fans for yrs. Being a Phins fan longer than you have probably been on this Earth, so I have breathed it, seen it, lived it, done it. With experience comes wisdom. You will understand, one day. Until then, it will fly over the head. It will take this team starting to do it right, more than wrong, I simply cannot sit around being a simpleton.''

Not real sure what inspired you to reply in the first place. It was not a comment meant to cause someone to get their panties all in a wad, but here you are. You could have replied in a much more mature tone.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:43 am 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Dphins4me wrote:
ag_fin_90 wrote:
[

The organization does not get a reboot every time they hire new people, because they have hired poorly in the past. Their history is still their history. Whether is the current staff or not. Its still their history.

Nothing miserable going on here, just not a pollyanna who buys the crap this team has been feeding fans for yrs. Being a Phins fan longer than you have probably been on this Earth, so I have breathed it, seen it, lived it, done it. With experience comes wisdom. You will understand, one day. Until then, it will fly over the head. It will take this team starting to do it right, more than wrong, I simply cannot sit around being a simpleton.''

Not real sure what inspired you to reply in the first place. It was not a comment meant to cause someone to get their panties all in a wad, but here you are. You could have replied in a much more mature tone.

First of all it's a free country I can respond if I want. Second of all I show respect when a FO is making good decisions and when yoing players are balling especially when they aren't respected which this team isn't. Third of all my response was mature for acknowledging how as a fanbase constantly whining makes all Dolphin fans look weak. Finally, the team does reset when the HC and FO resets and blaming them for the past when they weren't here instead of applauding the success they have now is pathetic but hey you'll find a way to insult them. Now to important things lets go Phins!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:55 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

ag_fin_90 wrote:
First of all it's a free country I can respond if I want. Second of all I show respect when a FO is making good decisions and when yoing players are balling especially when they aren't respected which this team isn't. Third of all my response was mature for acknowledging how as a fanbase constantly whining makes all Dolphin fans look weak. Finally, the team does reset when the HC and FO resets and blaming them for the past when they weren't here instead of applauding the success they have now is pathetic but hey you'll find a way to insult them. Now to important things lets go Phins!

It appears you struggle with understanding comments. Maybe you are to eager to reply before reading. It was not stated that you could not respond. I referenced the tone you brought, however you are sitting looking at a screen and we know what happens there.

Second. We disagree. Firing everyone does not change the past. If Miami misses on five 1st Rd. picks and fires everyone, it does not change that fact. Not blaming the current for the past mistakes, it again does not change what transpired in the past. We can have hope for the future, but the past is still the past.

Third, just because someone states, man why does it SEEM like Miami drafts bust after bust is not whining. Its an observation of facts for us fans who have been around during the past 25+ yrs of futility. Not real sure how a fan base can be weak. One can still be a fan, but being a fan does not mean one has to support anything the team does.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:23 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I love Gesicki's hands and toughness after a catch, but with the shape of our OL right now, we need blockers. I'm not ready to list a rookie who draws double-teams as a bust just yet. I will say that I expected more from him as he is a high 2nd round pick, but as I said, we need blockers and he ain't that yet.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:54 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Big Dave wrote:
I love Gesicki's hands and toughness after a catch, but with the shape of our OL right now, we need blockers. I'm not ready to list a rookie who draws double-teams as a bust just yet. I will say that I expected more from him as he is a high 2nd round pick, but as I said, we need blockers and he ain't that yet.

Gase is using rookies, so it has to be him or his lack of blocking ability preventing him from being productive. How a guy can be that big and not be a decent blocker does confuse myself.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:02 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Is it possible Gase has a little Belichick in him where his early picks are hit or miss but he always seems to develop guys you'd suspect (late rounders, UDFAs, other teams' castoffs)?

I think Gesicki will be a fine receiving option but never a true #1 TE. If he catches 40 passes and 7 or 8 TDs per year that is a pretty good contribution from a 2nd Rounder.

O'Leary, if healthy, can be your lunch pale/Anthony Fasano guy.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:26 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Was not a fan of Gesicki before the draft i hope he proves me wrong.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:02 pm 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Where is O’Leary today?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:56 pm 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Gesicki looked like #1 today

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:39 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Was Gesicki blocking really well this game did not see it.

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]