Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 
 Post subject: Landry Franchise Tagged
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:53 pm 
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2251 ... i-dolphins

Worth 16.4 Million?

RotoWorld wrote:
A league source told PFT's Mike Florio that the Dolphins quickly franchise-tagging Jarvis Landry is "being interpreted as a desire" by Miami to trade Landry. The Dolphins slapped the tag on Landry on the first day teams were allowed to do so on Tuesday, which is pretty quick. Typically, tags come closer to the early-March deadline each year after both sides have exhausted all avenues in extension talks, buying the sides until July to hammer out a long-term deal. That very well could be the case here, as well, but the way the Dolphins have spoken of Landry the past year-plus makes this report believable. Prior to Tuesday, Miami's front office had been lukewarm at best when talking about Landry's Dolphins future. A trade would be complicated, as Landry would likely have to agree to a new long-term deal with the acquiring team, while the Dolphins would also want significant compensation. Landry being in Miami for 2018 doesn't appear to be a lock at this point.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/9405/jarvis-landry

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:30 am 
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

First step to a long term deal. Hello 53.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:22 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

FINesse wrote:
First step to a long term deal. Hello 53.

Dolphins can trade him as well, a few teams are ready to pay him what Miami wont...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:58 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Hopefully it is to sign him long term. I love Suh, but even I know it is time to let him go on June 1. Only quarterbacks are worth the kind of money he is making. Worst case is that the Dolphins pay Landry $16.4 million this year, and have his replacement ready for next year. If DeVante Parker had shown up this year, I really think the Dolphins would try to trade Landry as Gase has been lukewarm about him.

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:35 am 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

re: franchise tag, $16m (!!) ....all idiotic talk about a player that won't make a bit of difference on this team this year nor beyond. Get something of value for him now and move on to rebuild this terribly non-talented, .500 team. QB, oline, LB, TE, DB all a lot more important than a 10yd slot guy that after dumb *ss penalties and selfish distractions is worth maybe 5yds/catch.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:31 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

carreramia wrote:
re: franchise tag, $16m (!!) ....all idiotic talk about a player that won't make a bit of difference on this team this year nor beyond. Get something of value for him now and move on to rebuild this terribly non-talented, .500 team. QB, oline, LB, TE, DB all a lot more important than a 10yd slot guy that after dumb *ss penalties and selfish distractions is worth maybe 5yds/catch.

He certainly brings a hell of a lot more to the game than what you pessimistically give him credit for, but it’s hard to argue that he is worth $14/yr as a possession guy.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:50 am 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

don't see the "pessimistically"...but I can always listen to where I am wrong about Landry and his * ahem! * production vis-a-vis value relative to the overall shambles of this roster.....

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:39 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Miami is going to trade Landry to a team with a ton of cap space. They have not been aggressively discussing a contract with him and now Darlington even said don't rule out a trade.

I just saw a mock draft with Miami dealing up a couple of spots with SF to get QB Josh Allen (after the other Big 3 were taken). The logic was getting their guy before other teams behind them could pounce. I'm not an Allen fan but this makes perfect sense to me. While the mock had Miami giving up a 4th rounder to move up a few spots I'd see Landry as more likely.

SF desperately needs a WR and is swimming in cash. Miami deals Landry and the 11th pick for SF's 9th pick and a conditional 2019 pick based on Landry's performance. Whether it is Allen, Mayfield or even Darnold (highly unlikely), you get a guy who can sit behind Tannehill for a year or flat out beat him for the starting job.

I keep reading that Chicago, Balitmore and Buffalo were the most likely suitors so maybe Chicago instead of SF in this case.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:45 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

jammer wrote:
Miami is going to trade Landry to a team with a ton of cap space. They have not been aggressively discussing a contract with him and now Darlington even said don't rule out a trade.

I just saw a mock draft with Miami dealing up a couple of spots with SF to get QB Josh Allen (after the other Big 3 were taken).

I hate to lose him, but if we can get a 1st round pick then I cannot be too pissed about it. Gase has not been happy with him despite his superior talent, and Gase is a player's coach. I'm not sure what the problem really is, but I have to say that I've seen very talented players dealt to other teams due them being a problem. They didn't seem to be a problem with other teams.

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:55 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

I have gone on record as saying I would do what it takes, within reason, to go up and get Sam Darnold. You aren't going to find a QB in this draft or next year's with his combo of arm talent, intangibles and IT factor. If trading Landry helps accomplish that then so be it. Heck, I'd offer Tannehill, Landry and the 11th pick to move up to number 1. Use your cap savings on Tannehill (15 million) to buy a new slot WR and OT (they won't spend on an OG unfortunately).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:40 pm 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

I agree Jammer.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:50 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

jammer wrote:

I just saw a mock draft with Miami dealing up a couple of spots with SF to get QB Josh Allen (after the other Big 3 were taken). The logic was getting their guy before other teams behind them could pounce. I'm not an Allen fan but this makes perfect sense to me. While the mock had Miami giving up a 4th rounder to move up a few spots I'd see Landry as more likely.

SF desperately needs a WR and is swimming in cash. Miami deals Landry and the 11th pick for SF's 9th pick and a conditional 2019 pick based on Landry's performance. Whether it is Allen, Mayfield or even Darnold (highly unlikely), you get a guy who can sit behind Tannehill for a year or flat out beat him for the starting job.

I keep reading that Chicago, Balitmore and Buffalo were the most likely suitors so maybe Chicago instead of SF in this case.

I agree this may be a move, and there may be multiple partners before it's all done.

I think this may be for Mayfield though. Rumor has it Marino and Gase really like him. Miami did schedule a dinner with him before his pro day, but maybe that's a smoke screen. They didn't meet with Harris at all so people didn't know they were interested.

I would also have said anyone but Allen, but after reading some more expert dissections of his game, he may be the real superstar of the big 4.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:54 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

jammer wrote:
I have gone on record as saying I would do what it takes, within reason, to go up and get Sam Darnold. You aren't going to find a QB in this draft or next year's with his combo of arm talent, intangibles and IT factor. If trading Landry helps accomplish that then so be it. Heck, I'd offer Tannehill, Landry and the 11th pick to move up to number 1. Use your cap savings on Tannehill (15 million) to buy a new slot WR and OT (they won't spend on an OG unfortunately).

If you have a conviction on the guy, go get him. Look at the Giants at 1-2, and Indy 1-3. Cleveland would be crazy trading the first pick, when they can get 2 of the top 4 players in the draft. QB or not.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:12 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

zatrex99 wrote:
jammer wrote:

If you have a conviction on the guy, go get him. Look at the Giants at 1-2, and Indy 1-3. Cleveland would be crazy trading the first pick, when they can get 2 of the top 4 players in the draft. QB or not.

I would have prepackaged deals in place with all 3 teams to cover how the board shakes out.

Cleveland just works nicely because using Tannehill kills 2 birds with one stone. Cleveland can get that QB at the 4th pick, have Tannehill be a 1-2 year bridge with his now non-guaranteed contract, and still land a premium talent at 11.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:22 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

zatrex99 wrote:
I think this may be for Mayfield though. Rumor has it Marino and Gase really like him. Miami did schedule a dinner with him before his pro day, but maybe that's a smoke screen. They didn't meet with Harris at all so people didn't know they were interested.

I would also have said anyone but Allen, but after reading some more expert dissections of his game, he may be the real superstar of the big 4.

The smokescreen idea was my first reaction too. I really trust Tony Pauline, maybe more than most draft analysts. The way he described scouts picking apart Mayfield's game not being a seamless transition to the pros made me re-watch the videos on him. You do notice that he never gets that defender in his face when he throws, and more importantly, when he has to "zip" the ball he tends to throw it high. Pauline also mentioned that a lot of his deep throws cause the WR to slow down which could translate to picks at the next level.

Pauline also mentioned Allen getting torn apart by scouts for his sloppy mechanics and poor decision making.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:20 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

jammer wrote:
zatrex99 wrote:

The smokescreen idea was my first reaction too. I really trust Tony Pauline, maybe more than most draft analysts. The way he described scouts picking apart Mayfield's game not being a seamless transition to the pros made me re-watch the videos on him. You do notice that he never gets that defender in his face when he throws, and more importantly, when he has to "zip" the ball he tends to throw it high. Pauline also mentioned that a lot of his deep throws cause the WR to slow down which could translate to picks at the next level.

Pauline also mentioned Allen getting torn apart by scouts for his sloppy mechanics and poor decision making.

These are the highlights to watch to get an idea what Mayfield can do. Pay attention to how he leads his wr's with his passes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9i2Avs1YuA

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:29 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Big Dave wrote:
I hate to lose him, but if we can get a 1st round pick then I cannot be too pissed about it. Gase has not been happy with him despite his superior talent, and Gase is a player's coach. I'm not sure what the problem really is, but I have to say that I've seen very talented players dealt to other teams due them being a problem. They didn't seem to be a problem with other teams.
Highly unlikely anyone will give up a 1st for him and pay him that type money.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:51 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

zatrex99 wrote:
These are the highlights to watch to get an idea what Mayfield can do. Pay attention to how he leads his wr's with his passes.

Unfortunately that video doesn't help the case. Every single throw beyond 10 yards was either behind the receiver or high. His lone deep throw toward the end made the receiver stop and come back to the ball. His quick slants, screens and throws to guys who have stopped their routes are fine, but a lot of college QBs can do that.

I never would have thought any of this until Pauline mentioned it. Now I see it glaringly, especially in the video you posted.

So we aren't too far off topic, I think Mayfield is going to need a guy like Landry to bail him out on more difficult throws. Maybe Miami is considering that.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:11 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

jammer wrote:
zatrex99 wrote:

Unfortunately that video doesn't help the case. Every single throw beyond 10 yards was either behind the receiver or high. His lone deep throw toward the end made the receiver stop and come back to the ball. His quick slants, screens and throws to guys who have stopped their routes are fine, but a lot of college QBs can do that.

I never would have thought any of this until Pauline mentioned it. Now I see it glaringly, especially in the video you posted.

So we aren't too far off topic, I think Mayfield is going to need a guy like Landry to bail him out on more difficult throws. Maybe Miami is considering that.

I'm no expert, but I'm not seeing the same things you do. I do see a lot of bubble screens, so yes, Landry would be really valuable to him to develop.

But it's irrelevant who you or I like. If Miami is going to trade up to grab a QB, they have to be convinced he's the guy. I think it would be a huge mistake to trade up and grab whichever one you can. Or draft one if they fall to you.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:52 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

zatrex99 wrote:
But it's irrelevant who you or I like. If Miami is going to trade up to grab a QB, they have to be convinced he's the guy. I think it would be a huge mistake to trade up and grab whichever one you can. Or draft one if they fall to you.

Just to clarify, you think it would be a mistake to trade up?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:12 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

jammer wrote:
zatrex99 wrote:

Just to clarify, you think it would be a mistake to trade up?

NO, I'd be happy to see them go for it.

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]